extra light

I need an extra light on my Milli. Does one have to use a low voltage light for the laser light power plug in or will a regular light be OK. I have seen the Ikea light suggested by Sherry R. Hamilton but hate to drive to Pittsburgh for a $12 light. Thanks for any tips.

Sandra

Guest Linda S

I have two side lights on my machine. One is a low voltage light I got at Target. Judy Laquidara told us about them and I think they were supposed to be $15. When I got to Target, they were on sale, and I got mine for $7.99. My other light is a halogen art display light. I'm not sure of it's voltage, but it gets VERY hot. I've only hit it once, but it resulted in a terrible burn. I doubt that I will ever hit it again! ;) It does a superb job of highlighting the stitches though, so I continue to use it.

Linda

HOw have you attached your lights to the machine? I couldn't figure out how to get the laser light off the clamp like Sherrry Harrison did. Also, is it necessary to have a low voltage light? The transformer which is for the machine is specifically for the laser light.

TIA,

Sandra

Hi Sandra

I have not responded to this yet...because I was waiting for someone in the "know" to respond from APQS. That has yet to happen.... and since my name has been mentioned a few times, I will answer your questions with what I know for sure.

The clamp that holds your laser on has a knob which will loosen the laser. Sometimes it is tight but once it loosens up you can remove the laser. As far as voltage goes, I do not know the proper answer. All I DO know is that I have been using TWO lights on my Millenium for 4 years and I used other lights on my other machines for about 5 years before that. On the Millie, I have a short length Ikea extention plug that I have plugged into the back where the laser plug goes. Then I have both lights plugged into the other end of the cord. One is an APQS light which I got before they decided to make it a *George* exclusive and the other is an Ikea light and I do belive that is halogyn , but I am not sure. I guess I will have to use my official disclaimer...if you are in doubt call APQS all I know is it works for me.

Another attachment option is to buy a clip on light and clip it to a chunk of wood. Drill a hole in that wood that is the same diameter as the front laser attachment rod and then you should be able to slide the new wood light holder on. In my head this works anyway! LOL

Sherry,

Thank you for your reply. I think that the block of wood sounds like a good idea and I will give that a try and report back. I think APQS is really losing out on the "George" light. Not everyone wants a George and not everyone wants a Milli but we all need to be able to see!

Sandra

I went to the hardware last night to look for something so I could attach my light to the front laser attachment rod. I got braided tubing, in two sizes, in the plumbing department. One on the tubes has an inner diameter of 1/4" which fits snuggly ofer the rod. I bought a second tube which has an inside diameter of 1/2" which I split lenghwise (for easier installation) and put over the 1st tube. I have a larger area on which to attach the lamp clip and it does not move. If I want to remove the tube from the rod, all I have to do is slice is away from the rod using an exacto knife.

Sandra

Hay you guys: :)

Do any of you have a picture you could post, Sherry please post a photo, I understand what kind of lights to get but am unclear as to where to install them on the machine.

A pic makes things so much easier to understand, if I could see it I'm sure I could do it, PLEASE & THANKS :D

Here are some pictures I posted quite some time ago. Here they are again. The original post with the large pictures are in the topic, I have seen the light.

Originally posted by GERALDINE

Hay you guys: :)

Do any of you have a picture you could post, Sherry please post a photo, I understand what kind of lights to get but am unclear as to where to install them on the machine.

A pic makes things so much easier to understand, if I could see it I'm sure I could do it, PLEASE & THANKS :D

Archived