Jerky applique outlining

mesquiltco

Bliss can make the machine very slippery, that's for sure. When tracing around applique, I always use the extended base (did you happen to get one?) and a small ruler as a "resistor". It isn't so much that the ruler must match the shape of the applique so much as it is having something to push against the hopping foot to give you more control. It's like resting your hand on a table when you write as opposed to holding the pen up high near the eraser and trying to be accurate.

My favorite style of ruler for this work is a shorter straight one, about 2-1/2 or 3-inches wide, and only about 8 inches long. That allows me to hold a ring or pinky finger on the outer edge of the ruler, across from the hopping foot. With my thumb and other fingers on top of the ruler, and that ring or pinky finger out along the edge, it's very easy to "steer" the ruler around any applique pieces.

Another very good tool is DeLoa's applique ruler. It works with a very different principle...it has a cut out that slips over the hopping foot. When you move the ruler, it moves the hopping foot. The ruler is beveled on the underside to slide over applique. You can find it at www.deloasquiltshop.com.

Hope that helps in some way!

Archived