Help from OZ and NZ Please

A good friend is leaving for a 6 week trip to Australia and New Zealand in a couple of weeks. She will be touring in and around all the major cities and is looking for recommendations of any 'not to be missed' quilt stores. She isn't looking for anything that could be bought here (Canada) or the States, but things that are unique to your part of the world. Do you have any recommendations please?

Most of what we buy here is the same as in the US except a lot dearer!!!!! The Country Quilt Co on Pine Mountain Road North Ipswich has lots of patterns from different Australian designers.

Unique Australian quilting products.........Minties, Violet Crumble Bars, - lollies.

If she is in Brisbane on the second Tuesday of the month I would be happy to have her come to our state guild meeting.

Depending on when and where your friend is going to be in NZ there are a good variety of quilt shops throughout the country. Being a small country it is easy to get from one town to another except maybe in the South island. Do you have her travel plans and dates ? let me know and I'll check to see if there are any exhibitions on during that time as well as recommend some quilt shops worth a visit. There is a good selection of NZ fabric and patterns in most of the quilt shops.

Yvonne

Von, she is going to be in Auckland from January 22nd to 28th and while they do have some tours planned, she also has a few free days that hopefully can at least partially be used for quilt shops. I really appreciate any help you can give me to pass along to her.

Sorry there are no exhibitions on in Auckland over those dates Irene. it is our summer holidays so not a lot going on. There is NANZQ challenge exhibition on in Taupo from Feb 2 -26 at the Taupo Museum and Gallery if she is passing thru.

The 2 shops I would recommend in Auckland are Patchwork Passion in Ohehunga and Cushla's in Devonport which is on the North Shore. A ferry goes from Auckland city to Devonport and is an easy walk from the wharf to an interesting selection of shops and cafes. If she is interested I can send more details.

Can you let me know where else she will be so I can send more information re quilt shops. There is an excellent quilting and textile book shop in Wellington city and they sometimes have a small exhibition. It is called Minerva and they are also the publisher of the NZ Quilter magazine. If your friend can get a copy there are lots of advertisements for quilt shops thru out the country.

Hope this is of some help.

Yvonne

In Victoria there is a great little shop at Rosedale, which is a town in East Gippsland. It's called Lily Lane Patchwork and worth a look if they are touring on the main Hwy, the M1, that goes around Australia.

On the same road closer to Melbourne at a town called Trafalgar, there is a patchwork shop, called A Little Patch Of Country, that does carry some 'Australiana' print fabric and also Indigenous prints. As already mentioned though, brace yourself for the pricing, between $20-$26 a metre usually.

If I can dig up any more noteworthy stops, I'll let you know.

Archived