taking pictures at shows

Pretty aggravating, huh? It's more of the copyright rules being taken to an extreme. Most of us take pictures at the shows for inspiration but there are a few who take pictures of original work and go home and duplicate it. I doubt it had anything to do with the flash harming the quilts.

I understand both sides of the argument - we pay to go in and see the quilts, we can't possibly remember everything we say and it's nice to be able to go back and look at the pictures. But, for those who are doing original work and don't want it copied, I see their point too.

Most of the large shows will post their policy regarding picture taking so I guess to avoid the embarrassment of being approached about taking photos when they don't want us to, the lesson we can learn from your experience is to find out what that policy is before we start snapping shots.

I too would be anoyed if I saw everyone else clicking away and I had been told to delete my shots and put away my camera.

I can see the copywright thing but with the internet, photos in books and magazines I do not think taking photos at a quilt show is really gonna enchourage someone to copy someones work more than they would anyway.

Some shows actally sell DVDs of all the quilts hanging in the show or even pamphlets with them.........................those shows sometimes want you to buy those items instead of taking photos.

I usually carry paper and pencil and will jot things that strike me down wether it be the piecing or a quilting design.

Guest Linda S

Most shows have a sign at the front door or have the rules on picture taking in their program. For the most part, pictures are allowed for your personal use, and you can post them to your webpage as long as you identify that they are from a show and are not your quilts. Some shows, however, have more restrictive rules. Also, some shows will have certain exhibits that do not allow photography. Are you sure it was the whole show where you couldn't take pictures?

Linda

I went to see what LA were there mainly. The quilts were all hung in rows with 15 feet between. The main entrance had register tables and a $6.00 fee to enter. No signs were present there or at any of the alleys of quilts. I asked to take pictures of the Gammil with Compuquilter later and was not turned down at all there. Sorry to say there were no APQS machines present. I really wanted to see a millenium up close and personal. Maybe iat the quilt show sponsored by the Quilting Bee in St. Pete in Feb. will have one. Anyway it won't keep me from going to shows or getting inspiration from the magnificent workmanship I see. G

Archived