help with deluxe sidewinder bobbin winder

Hi,

I got a simplicity deluxe sidewinder with my Lucey.   There are several settings I can adjust on it.  The one that is the most puzzling to me is the tension adjustment knob.  I did wind a bobbin using bottom line, leaving the speed on the fastest point, and basically leaving the tension knob where it was.  My bobbin turned out just slightly spongy and I did overfill it a bit but can figure out that adjustment.  I did put it in the machine and had one bobbin thread break where the bobbin thread hung up on something in the bobbin area (not the bobbin case).  I got the thread loose by turning the flywheel a bit and it stitched just fine until I ran out of the bobbin thread again.  Is there a way to tell if I have the tension knob (on the sidewinder) set to the right place?  I am assuming I will have to adjust this tension knob when I use differant weights of thread in the bobbin.  I did not see where the manual gave much instruction on this.  Also do most of you just keep the bobbin winder speed to fast unless using a speciality thread like a metallic and what other kinds would you slow the winding speed down on.  I haven't had my first class yet...but thought I would ask here as I haven't scheduled it yet...thanks...Lin

Hi Lin,

You're on the right track in testing the bobbin after winding. If it feels spongy, tighten the tension on the bobbin winder. You may not have to wind a full bobbin to test it; see if your pinky finger will fit into the bobbin to push on the thread. If you have it too tight, the first way to check is to snip the thread between the tension assembly and the bobbin itself with a scissors. If it snaps back and is very curly like a corkscrew, the tension is too tight. Back it off a bit from there.

Slow the winding speed down on specialty threads like metallic, and especially invisible thread. That will keep it from stretching as you wind it.

Archived