?'s about entering shows

I'm probably not posting this in the right place, but I wasn't even sure where to put it.  I have a couple questions for those of you who are entering and winning shows.

1. Where do you find information about upcoming shows that are accepting entries?

2. Do you enter the guild shows, or only the national shows?

3. Are there any shows that accept entries for critique only (like Innovations used to do)?

4. Do traditional patterns or self designed patterns seem to do better in show competition?

5. Do judges seem to like heavier custom quilting, or lighter quilting like an all over with borders?

Thanks for your expertise. I know there are a great many of you who regularly win shows, some with multiple entries. I'll be waiting for your responses

Hi Teresa!

I don't enter my own quilts in any shows since I don't have any to enter! But I do know a few answers. ;)

1. Google the various shows and sign up for the newsletters. They will send you all the info about deadlines for entries. The big shows have very specific rules about two-person quilts and some don't allow them unless the quilt is a collaboration--meaning the quilting isn't paid for and the quilt is owned by both parties. Make a calendar of all the shows, noting intake/entry dates and how soon after the quilt will be returned. That will give you an idea of which shows don't overlap so your entry will be available for the next open slot. Many shows won't accept a quilt that is more than two years old, so you can have your entry make the rounds of all the shows with some careful planning over a two-year period.

2. I would enter any shows you are comfortable with. I've had customers enter quilts in our county fair and the big regional fair, as well as Paducah. You might ask some questions about the security at the shows and be sure to have your quilts appraised and insured.

3. I don't really know, but some smaller shows will give you the option of just a critique without putting the entry into competition.

4. If you're looking for ribbons, original designs are the way to go. To get an idea of what the judges are looking for and what your competition is, see what quilts are getting the big prizes this year. And every judging is subjective. What wins at one show doesn't at the next. Every show quilter is reaching for the next newest eye-catching technique and it changes yearly. The competition is tough at the big shows like Paducah and Houston and most quilters are thrilled to just have their pieces accepted for the show. Have professional pictures taken to be considered for the big shows.

5. There may be a category for bread-and-butter quilts--those with overalls and meant for beds and cuddling. They are judged with like-items, but ornately pieced/appliqued/painted/ and/or quilted pieces are the norm for the big shows. Each quilt is in a category so it can be judged against it's direct competition. 

Quilt what you like and what you're good at. Enter them wherever you can and get some feedback. Find out if your ego can take it! One quilt in the XYZ show may get raves and at the ABC show get bad marks. Good luck and go for it!  

Hi Teresa, I do enter quilt shows a lot with my quilted garments. In fact I just had a jacket juried into Houston.

You should start with shows close to you. To get comments you need to enter them in the judged portion of the show. If you really want valid comments on your work then enter into shows that are judged by National Quilting Association certified judges (NQA).

I started with both quilts and clothing at my local county fair and at the Iowa State Fair but these are both judged by quilt shop owners, home economic theachers or anyone they can get to do it. The judging can be strange. But it gave me some comments and ribbons and the confidence to go on.

I was also luck enough to belong to the Iowa Quilters Guild that had shows judged by NQA judges AND I was also able to help in the judging room to see the judging process. I also got to hang out with the judges socially and learn alot!

My next step was to join the Internatinal Machine Quilters Association that puts on Machne Quilters Showcase in Wichita. I signed up to help in the judging room and to help hang quilts. Boy did I learn a lot from that show! They even have a grant program that I received the first year I attended the show. The grant is on their web site and the entry deadline is close. They award $400 grants to take classes at the show. Don't be afraid to give the grant a shot. I would be happy to email you the letter I wrote to get my grant if it would help.

You can never guess the specific thing that the judges are looking for. There are several books like Quilting For Show that help give guides for quilts that win ribbons. Every judge is human and tries to be impartial but decisions must be made. Some judges like heavy quilting and some like light. I have won Best of Show Machine Quilting on a heavily quilted quilt and 2 on lighter quilted quilts at state quilt shows.

You need to find out what are your best features. Mine happens to be quilted clothing. No matter how hard I try my quilts don't do as well in national shows as my garments do. Listen to the judges comments and improve in the areas that keep coming up in the comments. My weakness is in my tension and getting too free with my free hand (be more precise in your backtracking and designs). So guess what I am working on!

Here are some sites to check out.

Machine Quilters Showcase (my favorite for learning about competition)

Mancuso hosts several shows

Mid Atlantic and Pacific Internatinal Quilt Festivals (linked shows, if you win a ribbon in 1 it can't go th the other, Pacific has larger money prizes so I go there first)

Machne Quilters Exposition (MQX) East and West (linked shows again if you win a ribbon in 1 you can't put it in another, they have unfortunately dropped their clothing category) Oh, they are in the process of changing their name too

Home Machine Quilt Show

Machine Quilting Today

Minnesota Quilters Show

Road to California ( no clothes so I have never entered)

American Quilters Society juried ( they only give written comments at Puducha)

National Quilters Society (they award ribbons and bragging rights, no monetary awards)

International Quilt Association, Houston juried

You have to send in photos for all of these shows. The ones that are not juried use the photos for identification. I have a good camera and a tripod. I take my own photos even for Houston.

You just have to test out the water and see if you like quilt competition and have to have a thick skin. I listen to most of the judges comments and laugh of the rest. I don't really know why I like to compete. It does take a lot of planning. I keep data bases on what has gone where and when deadlines and shipping dates are. It does get complicated as entries have about a 2 year life. The shows want new items and new ideas all the time!

I guess competition is in my genes. My father quilts and likes to enter his quilts in his county fair. My daughter Nora trains and competes with her 2 dogs and my daughter Danielle trains and competes with horses.

As you can see I love to talk about quilt competitions! Non of my local friends are interested.

Thanks for the information LInda and Jennifer. I am going to check out some things.  I have had 2 quilts at Innovations, one year after the other; but they quit having that show. I have entered AQS Grand Rapids, but my wall hanging was not accepted.  I do enter our local fair and the West Tennessee quilt show held in Ripley, but the same lady wins those every single year. She has won for 13 years.  She hand quilts. I don't know if that's why she wins or not.  Somebody once told me her husband is a councilman and helps judge the fair.  If that's the case it's no wonder she wins.   I did enter the St. Jude Quilt of Dreams and won our regional contest, but not the national one.  I am determined to get my name out there and gain a following.  That is my goal for the rest of 2013.

Oh there is one other thing about taking a picture of your quilt...Take pictures against a nuetral background. In the past I took pictures of me wearing my garments. Well...I didn't have the best expression on my face. That was the photo that was posted on the Mancuso website anong the winning entries! Now I take pictures of them on a dress form. If it is a jurried show, and I have multiple entries, I try to take them with different backgrounds.

Here are 3 of my jackets that have done very well. The judge really liked this one because she gave me a 1st place and a Judge's Choice

Teresa:

Jennifer has given you a very good list of shows to get started and I think Linda's answers to your questions were right on the money.  I began with our annual Guild show & graduated to some of the regional & national shows (Mancuso, Road to California, NQA, Houston & Paducah).  I don't know of any shows that offer critique only but I'm with Linda on getting feedback from NQA certified judges instead of the local councilman or home ec teacher.   ---Tried to insert smiley face here but icon isn't working.---   You do need to have a thick skin when you read judges comments which are often quite cryptic...they have only a few minutes to evaluate the quilts...volunteering for judging is a fabulous way to learn what judges are looking for.  One of our Guild speakers gave a slide show of her quilts and read several judges' reactions to each.  They were all over the map.  One of my quilts went to several shows...at one show, the judges said "Too busy...no place for the eye to rest".  Another set of judges said OF THE SAME QUILT  "Elegant in its simplicity".  Whaaaaaat?

You have to read each show packet carefully regarding categories & rules.  Some have separate categories for original (art) quilts vs. traditional or commercial patterns.  Some separate hand quilted pieces from machine quilted.  Many have rules about 2 person quilts.  Don't know if you were hoping to enter your own work or to enter quilts you have quilted for others.  I have taken my own photography for shows...even Paducah & Houston...but I have heard of many quilts being rejected because the photos weren't what was specified in the entry instructions.  Unfortunately, when your quilt is not juried into a show (like yours into Grand Rapids), they don't tell you if it is because of your photos or some other reason.  Sometimes it is just the caliber of other quilts entered in the same category.

If you do want to compete at a broader level, you must put your very best effort into each stage of the quiltmaking process.  Judges look at the subjective artistic elements (visual impact, color & value choices) and the technical workmanship (accuracy in piecing, precision in applique, appropriateness of quilting, security of binding etc. etc. etc.) and even presentation issues (does it hang straight?  is it covered with cat hair?, are there stains or markings visible?).  All that detail is why it is helpful to volunteer at a judging and Linda is right...while they try to be impartial, each judge has their own personal opinions on what determines good or bad color choices, density of quilting and the like.

Hope this helps you a little more. Eager to hear what others have to say.  Good luck...I say go for it!    Nancy

Archived