Silhouette CAMEO

Does anyone have or know anything about the Silhouette CAMEO?  I just received an email from EE Schenck and they are now carrying it.  Here is the link if anyone would like to check it out.

http://www.eeschenck.com/default.asp?referrer=y&page=opening.asp&SuperStore=0&cs=70894&type=1&r=browse

I talked to one of the sales reps and she was explaining that it will cut any shape/design you want up to a certain size.  I so dislike cutting the small pieces for applique so I never do it.  She explained that the Silhouette Cameo can do it for you after it is scanned in.

I would appreciate thoughts or comments.

I saw this on their site as well. I think the fabric must be stabilized with a fusible interfacing before it can be cut. So if you need plain fabric for needle turn applique this machine wouldn't work.

This machine is the same principle as blueprint machines but instead of a pen there is a blade. It looks neat but seems to have more application for scrapbooking (paper) than quilting. 

This is a topic I am much more experienced in than long arm quilting! And so I will give my experienced opinion :) :

On a regular vinyl cutter that has enough downforce you can cut fabric from your own designs if you iron the fabric on to freezer paper.

The problem with small pieces is removing them from the freezer paper without distortion.

The Cameo is a 12" cutter with what looks like stationary plastic guides - and I couldn't get any of their links to open to find out if it has adjustable downforce (the amount of pressure on the cutting blade to cut partially or fully through the media used).

Make sure you get one that has this or you will have problems with incomplete cutting.

The strength of the motor(s) is very important to have the power to move the head around accurately as it is pushing down through your media.

Spending your money on quality is as important in a cutter as a sewing machine - if you purchase an inexpensive cutter you will probably be disappointed because you won't have accuracy of cuts, problems with incomplete cuts, limitations on the memory of the machine (to store the designs you send to it), and cheap quality of the machine itself (cheap belts -v- computer guided cutting, plastic guides -v- coated rubber, plastic parts -v- metal, etc.)

I myself would watch for a used Roland or Summa cutter.  I think the smallest that Summa carries now is 30" width.  As big as that seems it really doesn't have that big of a footprint due to the fact that it is not very deep in size.  I had my Summa set up in the corner right beside the computer it was hooked to.  The sewing machine table I now have it that place takes up the same amount of space.  Finding a good cutter (vinyl cutter) to cut your fabric can be a real time saver.

Btw, I believe Heidi M. had purchased a different brand of craft cutter for fabric cutting a year or so ago.  Hopefully she will chime in on the brand of that one as I don't recall.  I know it sounded promising, and I'd also like to know what she thinks of it.  

I love the idea of a machine cutting the applique and purchased a Slice Fabrique.  I can only speak from my experience and will say it was not a good purchase.  I had trouble with the machine out of the box, it was replaced but I still had trouble with the fabric cutting thoroughly and scrunching up as the blade moved.  It probably works great for cutting paper but that isn't how I wanted to use it.  I purchased it at the Houston quilt show and was like a deer in the headlights when I saw it.  :huh:

I love the idea of a machine cutting the applique and purchased a Slice Fabrique.  I can only speak from my experience and will say it was not a good purchase.  I had trouble with the machine out of the box, it was replaced but I still had trouble with the fabric cutting thoroughly and scrunching up as the blade moved.  It probably works great for cutting paper but that isn't how I wanted to use it.  I purchased it at the Houston quilt show and was like a deer in the headlights when I saw it.  :huh:

Carmen, it's too bad you've had a bad experience.  More than likely the machine does not have the downforce or motor strength to quickly and smoothly move the head around as it slices the fabric.  Also, if there are not smooth, grippy rollers to hold the fabric and its backer in place the head/blade will just push it around.  Another problem I could see would be that the wrong degree blade is in place.  Depending on the thickness of the media being cut you would change the angle of blade, ie: 45 degree, 60 degree, etc.  And that machine may not even have option of different degree blades.  Combine all these aspects and it can just be a train wreck of fabric waste waiting to happen. 

Another thing to keep in mind:  if one chooses to go with a quality cutter, you also will have the ability to design and print out full length accurate pantographs.  You would take the blade out and put in a marker/pen that fits the system.

I almost bought a Silhouette product for cutting fabric shapes from my own designs, UNTIL I saw a youtube video where they were demonstrating it at a big quilt show. It took forever to cut one little flower and then they had trouble getting the backing off. Do a youtube search for it and you'll find out lots more information than from their website.

Archived