underlining a top?

Hi all, I recently bought a double wedding ring top at a yard sale. Looks like they used the cheapest muslin for everything but the actual rings.  The muslin is so thin I'm afraid even the batting will show through! I have some 100% cotton batiste. Can I underline this top with the batiste prior to loading on the frame? Anyone ever done this? Any suggestions will be appreciated. I really would like to save this top if I can. If nothing else just use it for practice.. Thanks   Becky

It should work well and strengthen the top. You can float the batiste on top of the batting and load the top to the rollers, or float both top pieces and just make sure the batiste is flat with each advance. And if you need to seam the underliner load it with the seam horizontal. If there is any show-through even with both pieces loaded, (which might be a problem where the seam of the underliner might show up whiter where it's doubled) use white batting instead of natural.

What fun to have a DWR to play on!

Just FYI, I have heard of some famous quilters using an extra layer of muslin between the batting & the backing to stabilize the grain and help a show quilt hang straighter.  If that works, then using the batiste between the top & batting should be a very good solution.  Nancy in Tucson

Archived