Referral from LQS - Need help

Finally got a referral from the LQS and of course it is not a simple quilting job.  

I told the customer I would ask for advice and get back to them about what I learned and a final estimate.

The project is to finish a quilt started by an aunt about 15-20 years ago.  The center part of the quilt is gold SATIN 2" (about) squares hand pieced. About 67x67.  Alignment not perfect so am not sure if I could follow seams for a design.  Some beautiful Kaufman cotton print was included to be used as a border.

My questions:  I have never quilted on satin.  Is it ok to machine quilt on the hand pieced satin section?  Smaller needle?  The family just wants this finished as a keepsake from the aunt and get the unfinished project out of the closet.

If it is ok to quilt on the satin is a simple loose e2e ok to use? Quilting will not show up on the border fabric.  

Thanks for any suggestions you can give me.

Satin will show the needle marks, and tends to snag, depending on the type. Silk satin is more fragile than poly. I would load the quilt, leave yourself some extra batting backing on the sides. Get some cheap satin scraps from Joann's then try different needles/ thread and see how it goes. If they are not Quiilters, they will probably not be sensitive to any problems you may encounter, but I would have them sign a waiver anyway. But yes, a hand guided allover should be fine...

Had a quilt not to long ago that had allllll kinds of fabrics in it from satin to taffeta, velvet, velveteen, silk, you name it!  All made from prom and special occasion dresses.  I can't tell you the panic I felt.   But, went ahead and held my breath and did it and had no troubles at all.  The closest thing that even came close to trouble was the thickness of the velveteen wanted to "move" under the hopping foot.  (drag along with it)  could have resolved the problem by adjusting my hopping foot but there was only a couple of blocks.  May be helpful if you use your thinner needle.  Alot of the teachers use satin to do demos on.  I think you will be OK  (sorry had the underliner on and didn't realize it)  Hope this helps

Archived