how to mark a quilt

Kimmy Brunner and Cindy Needham both have good marking sections in their Craftsy Classes: www.craftsy.com. The thing to remember is what works for you may be different than someone else. There is no right or wrong way to mark providing you use the proper tools.  Check  out YouTube; there are a ton of videos on there as well.

Shana, that brings up another question. I'd like to use chalk but how do you get the chalk marks out without washing the quilt?

Thanks,

Joan

Hi Joan,

The chalk I use (either the cheap school chalk or the Clover Chaco Liner) brushes right off immediately with your fingertips or dabbed lightly with a cloth. No need to wash to get the chalk out. I only use the white chalk. No other colored chalk. I steer clear of using any other colored chalks.

The water soluable blue pen, I (VERY LIGHTLY) mark with this and then use a damp cloth to remove the marks immedicately after quilting. No need to wash to get the blue pen out. Use pen lightly. The purple air soluable pen comes out on its own, but you can also remove it with damp cloth, too.

I avoid marking if at all possible. Just lightly do it for a reference point.

Archived