Making the step to a longarm

Ok, I have a question and looking for comment. I have been doing machine quilting on my "home" machine. I have one that has a little deeper throat than a standard machine, but it is still only about 10". I love machine quilting and do mostly freehand work. When at Shows I have tried Longarms and do not like "Moving the Machine" I am much happier moving my quilt. So I am thinking of a George. Any comment.

I don't have a George, I have a Millennium, but I would think a longarm would take some getting use to since you are moving the machine instead of the quilt. I'm not sure, but if you look under the subject "George" I think you will see very satisfied customers. Have you ever tried George? Maybe you should try it out, there could be a dealer close to you where you could give it is spin.

If you like sitting to quilt and a longarm just isn't want you are looking for the George would be a great choice for you. George has a 20 inch throat space and is the same great quality as all APQS machines and a very nice big table. It really is a great machine.

As far as a longarm it would take a bit of getting used to moving the machine. But should be a fairly smooth transition for you in a short time.

If you have questions that I may be able to answer or if I can help you in any way give me a call.

Myrna

Hello, I didn't mind using my home machine to quilt either, I even

did a california king on it. The thing I hated was basting the quilt

together. Of course the frame solved that problem. I love moving

the machine and am just having a ball. I have an ancient Ultimate II

and am very very happy with it.

Michele

Hi Pat,

I read your message ---and what I liked to hear was that "you love machine quilting". :) I think that statement in of itself is so important. You have got to love it, or it can be a waste of time and money to even venture into any type of quilting system.

I started out sitting and machine quilting with a regular domestic machine, then a 9" arm machine.

I loved it from the start, even more than the piecing process. I still do sit and quilt some of my smaller quilts. However, I find that standing at a frame and quilting gives me the opportunity to move more freely across the quilt using sweeping motions and using different quilting motifs that take a great deal more effort when I'm sitting and quilting.

It has opened a whole new way of quilting and using quilting designs---combined with sitting and quilting. It's like having the best of both worlds to quilt with!

I would suggest you keep your present sit down quilting system that you like so well---you will still continue to use it of course for many quilting projects that it may be better suited for, but also consider buying a stand up quilting system. You will love it too with some practice time. We all start at the beginning when using a new concept.

I would not base my experience standing at a frame at a quilt show as the criteria for deciding to puchase a stand up quilting system ---I would base and purchase on the fact you truly like machine quilting! Anything that gives you the opportunity to expand and learn and enjoy doing what you like, has got to be just another great tool that provides you with a great deal of pleasure and compliments your quilting experiences. :)

Archived