Labels

mgregory

Last month I went to an open house a local longarm quilter was having. It was very good she is really orginized.

She made labels on her computer and gave everyone one as a thank you for coming, but she didn't want to share how she made them.

I'm wondering if any of the greatest people on the planet can help me.

Her labels were out of muslin some had cartoons and all had word messages. If anyone wanted to she had regular cayrons to color the cartoons.

I would love to make some.

Guest Linda S

You can treat muslin in Bubble Jet Set, iron it onto freezer paper, and then run it through your ink jet printer as though it were regular paper. I use a color ink jet printer and don't really recommend the crayons, as the crayons are not permanent and can wash out. After printing, the labels should be dried, removed from the freezer paper, and rinsed in Retayne. There is a product called Bubble Jet Rinse, but I don't think it's worth a darn. You can print anything on that fabric that you can print on paper - photos, graphics, lines to be filled in later with a pigma pen -- the possibilities are endless. I was making these labels way before I got a longarm. And trust me, you don't need HP's fancy little program that is specially made for making quilt labels either. If you know anything about word processing, you can do it yourself! :P

Linda

Linda,

I agree the Bubble Jet RInse stuff doesn't work well. Thanks for the info on the Retayne to use. I also have had problems using the white, color fast, June Tailor brand fabric sheets. Pictures/graphics come out very purple and red. It hasn't happened when I printed out on muslin.

Thanks.

Nancy

• 1 month later...

I am my labels on my computer and use my Viking Designer I machine. They come out great and you can put anything on them you want.

I had this machine long before I got my Milli....so they work hand in hand.

I wish I had luck attaching pics, but no luck there.

Barb Wetzel

Ivy Corner Quilting

Altoona, Ia. 50009

Barb,

That is my next project-makng quilt labels on my Janome Embroidery machine!! I have the HP Custom Quilt Label kit (it's alot more than just quilt labels!!) so I can either print labels on the computer or can add a little embroidery for that "oh, so special" quilt! Anyone interested in making their labels using a computer and printer should really check this program out. They also have alot of good quilting stuff on the site! Here is a link:

http://h30039.www3.hp.com/quilting/home/index.php

Nancy :)

Duluth, MN

Guest Linda S

Nancy - I'd be interested to know what other sorts of things are availble on the HP quilt label program. I was under the impression that it was just graphics and templates for designing your own quilt labels. What else is there to it? Inquiring minds want to know!

Thanks,

Linda

Linda-You can create unique quilts, wallhangings, etc with the software. You can combine the graphics and clipart with photos. If you look on their website, you will see a wallhanging of a girl swimming under water. The picture on website doesn't do it justice. I saw the quilt on "America Sews" and it was gorgeous! "America Sews" has had the HP quilting/fabric photo staff on several times and they have come up with some cool projects. From making your own fabric prints, framing, lettering, etc. On the website as an upgrade to the original CD program, they have added alot of clipart add-ons. You use the computer to combine the techniques you want and then print from your computer to fabric. One lady did a wallpaper border for a room! She cut long lengths of fabric to the width she wanted for the border, put in her graphics/photos, and with her computer selected "banner" and feed this whole long sheet thru. On their website mentioned above, go to the menu on the left and look thru the "articles & How Tos" and Projects. You can also use the program for regular greeting cards, jar labels, etc. Definitely worth the time to pursue. I am most impressed with software as compared to other graphic programs because they set it up for automatic sizing, inserting, drop & drag, etc without a lot on individual or manual steps to create with multiple elements. I hope this helps explain a little more.

Nancy :)

Duluth, MN

• 3 months later...

On www.HGTV, com are directions for treating fabric called PFD (prepared for dying) . I use this fabric to do flower-pounding , however the white muslin or whatever fabric you choose could also be ironed onto freezer paper and put thru the computer for labels. Use permantent inks to embellish the labels and then iron to heat -set. I did 5 yards at one time....alot of labels........for much less money....:cool::cool:Beverly in NC

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone! I've been longarming just 5months and have wanted to give a label to customers with their quilts. Thanks for the information! I'll give it a try. I'm a lot of things but a computer wiz is not one of them!:mad: I have just finished quilting our guilds raffle quilt for 'o6. I was so nervous that I'd pace back and forth in front of the machine before I could even get started! heh...but It turned out beautiful and everyone loved it! I'll post a picture when it is finished with the binding. Thanks to all the quilters out there who make the best friends in the world!

Archived