Practicing - SR Question

Hi Everyone,

My son setup my Liberty this week - a late night yesterday as I loaded my first practice muslin and gave the Lib a spin. Managed a few hours in between family events today. I am having some challenges with 'drag' when I do any loops/circles from right to left - but read the troubleshooting posts to get some ideas on what to change/check.

Based on what I've read here and there I'm glad enough new LAers mentioned how hard it was. As usual, I expected to pick it up quickly.

Question - without the SR it seems so much smoother and I can actually write very well in manual mode. With the SR on and stitches set at 11 I find it more difficult to form the letters. Is this 'normal'?

Thanks,

Kathy A.

Kathy,

I too find that there is a bit of drag with the SR on. I think it is to be expected tho'. We have a solid machine running on an XY axis and the SR sensors have to have time to catch up to the movement of the machine. I play with the SR off, but on customer quilts I always have it on. I do like the way the machine runs without the SR on. I suppose at some point I will feel confident enough of my stitch quality to turn it off most of the time, but for now I really like the consistent size of my stitches.

Also I have found that if I turn the # of stitches per inch up I can "write" much more clearly. My curves are curves instead of sqared off lines.

The other thing is the cord is very heavy. If you are using the curly cord you may find the weight of it is causing you to move more slowly than you would like. I invested in a straight cord, which is about 1/3 of the weight of the curly cord, and it was the 2nd best investment I have made (the first being the Millie itself)>

Cynthia

Guest Linda S

first of all, how clean are your rails? I know you just set your machine up, but they could have oxidized a bit in shipping. If you wipe them with a clean white rag and get black stuff, you may need to polish them up a bit. Second, you might try loosening your wheels just a tad. If they are too loose, your stitch regulator won't work correctly (skip stitches, etc.), but sometimes if they are just a tad too tight, you can have trouble gliding as nicely as you'd like. Third thing to try is, I have the straight cord, but I still put mine up in a curtain track on the ceiling so it goes back and forth up and down the rails with the machine. It has really cut down on that drag feeling.

Linda

I re-cleaned the rails and rewaxed. Cleaned the wheels. Had my son re-level the table as well since it's beginning to settle on the new carpet. Drag is reduced.

What has also helped is the feedback on the SPI setting and the affect. I am now practicing at a higher number and can do loops and curves with a bit more 'grace'.

My next challenge is the Hartley extended base - but I'll post separate for help there!!

And the cord thing - well - I'll need to figure that one out. Again, a separate post when I'm ready for that.

Each day I make a little progress. Plan to get in 2-3 hours a day. The time Flys-by when I'm in my little room.

Thanks again - I expect to be out here often ,

Kathy

Hi Kathy,

Wow!! Linda you just said it all!!!! You sure have learned alot since you started... It is Great.... to have all of you on here to help each other, when we aren't able to be here!

The machines always sound different in s.r., but the movement shouldn't be that much different! Sometimes, I think because it sounds so different, we just are convinced that it must also be moving different! Give me a call and we can walk through your wheel adjustments and make sure nothing is off there!

Happy Holidays

Connie Hurst

APQS Service

800-426-7233 ext. 6

Guest Linda S

You're making me blush! ;) But, you're right - I learned all I know from this wonderful site and all the people who had these troubles before me. I love to tinker about to make things run as smooth as glass and there's nothing like waxing the rails to get the machine to float and glide so effortlessly.

Have fun Kathy!

Linda

Connie - didn't need to call.

I had my son view the maintance video regarding wheel adjustments. Nice improvement. He also fixed the bobbin winder when he got home from school. Glad he'll be around for another year 1/2 before college...Knew I had him for a good reason. And he's quite an artist - told him he should take a spin some day - may be surprised at what he can do.

Running fine. Having fun. Actually did a feather that was half way decent. My first practice piece is now a HUGE floor mat. Going on to pantos and laser usage tomorrow....

Kathy A (who can't stop smiling)

Archived