wool batting

I have a customer who brought two quilts for me to quilt with her own wool batting that has been washed carded and put in a shelve. The batting is about 2 inches thick.  I have been told to leave the shelve on when loading the quilt.  Not sure how to go about quilting using this type of batting.  It is thicker than the thickest polyester I have ever had to use.  I know that I will have to raise the hoping foot before starting.  Was just wondering if there is anything else I should know.  Thanks

Did you mean "sleeve"? I don't know what a shelve is pertaining to wool.

I would turn down any wool batting that is thicker than about a half-inch. Anything thicker than that will necessitate raising the hopping foot, as you mentioned in your post. Plus, if it's enclosed, that's just another double layer you'll need to stitch through with no assurance that the wool won't bunch up. I say run fast and far from this project.

If your customer is a quilter and can't understand why this would be a problem, suggest she make a foot-square sandwich with this batt and try to quilt it on her DSM. If she isn't a quilter---you're the expert and she should take your advice. ;)

I hope the quilting pattern is fairly dense.....if it is not needlepunched it might shift when laundered. Doesn't matter that the wool is in it's own sleeve....post pictures please when it's done, I would love to see it finished.

Debbie

Here is the quilt finished using the 100% virgin wool.  Went much better than expected.  We raised the quilting foot up to measure a quarter rather than a business card and it went very well.  The stitching tension was perfect.  It ways a ton.  She will be very happy with it.  Pattern simple.  Now I have tried it, if asked again will know what to expect.post-63898-0-91668500-1405285230_thumb.jpgpost-63898-0-69538400-1405285185_thumb.jpg

It looks fine. I'm very surprised that the pattern is not more dense, but perhaps the sleeve will prevent shifting of the wool. Love the texture that the wool gives to your quilting pattern. I learn something new everytime I visit this forum. Who knew? LOL. 

Debbie

Over the years my MIL and I had made quilts using home carded wool which was encased in cheesecloth.  We tied the quilts rather than machine quilt them.  The thing with the old fashioned, yet fully functional wool batts (which, by the way, carry a lanolin type smell because they aren't so processed like commercial ones), is that you don't machine wash them.  They will shrink up like no other - we take them in to be cleaned when the cleaners run wool specials.  I have two wool batts left just like that of this topic. When we would get the wool back from processing it was wrapped rolled up in brown paper, and then the casings were made and all put together.   I've got one tied quilt left that we no longer use and that I always figured I'd untie and take apart to save the wool.  MIL made it with a heavy flannel and the wool batt, and boy was it WARM! I'll try to post a picture when I get back home, and you'll see how nice they also are tied.  But  I'm guessing I'll be raising my hopping foot and putting them on the frame now that I see how well it long arms up.  :)

Archived