End of Floated Quilt

Ladies and Gents

For those of you who float your quilts, what do you do when you get to the end of the quilt and you cannot hold the quilt to the bar with your clamps to quilt that last row and 1/2?  How do you keep the tension on your quilt top and not get puckers in the top and such?

Mary

I full float my quilts so never have the top attached to the top roller.  I have it marked as to where the outside edges of the quilt need to be and where vertical seam need to be

I baste the sides as I go, after each roll on of the quilt  I straighten the quilt and line it up with the marks that are on the top roller. if the quilt is made more lazily then I use the horizontal channel lock to make sure it is straight across the quilt.  If I need to pull or fluff the quilt then I even use a few pins between the top roller and the backing roller to hold the quilt flat .

When then is only 6" of the quilt ( two full pantograph passes or freehanding spaces  so really about 30" of the quilt) left to be quilted I roll all of the quilt on to the top pinning and straightening sides so that the bottom of the quilt is visible  between the rollers.  Then I square up the corners using a big square ruler and horizontal channel lock the bottom of the quilt is straight.  BAste the last bit of sides and bottom  then roll the basted section onto the backing  roller and go back to finish the quilting.

Archived