Any fabric dyers out there?

I am sitting and quilting a braid ( thank you Linda) and your mind wonders on how should I ...

Question. I need to block a laundry basket quilt that has the fusible appliqués on it and I am worried about the batiks bleeding. Should I :

A - But color guards in the wash and wet the quilt In the washing machine or

B- put ?????? Retenol (sp)something or synthropol ?? Mixed in water and spray on quilt.

Any feed back would be most appreciated. Thanks, Betty Ann

Hi Betty! 

Any attempt to remove excess dye requires an immersion of the whole quilt. If it's your quilt or if you have access to scraps of the batiks used, you can test them for bleeding. You may not have a problem, but test them first. I put a snippet of fabric in water and microwave it almost to boiling. Stir and see if the water is colored. If none of them bleed, go ahead and block it. If you don't have access to scraps, use a wet white cloth to rub on the brights colors (red, blue, brown are the usual suspects!) If there is color transfer, you best treat it.

You can use two products to remove excess dye and then set what may be left.

Use Synthrapol (removes excess dye) mixed as directed in either a bathtub or washing machine. You only soak it. Rinse well with warm water. In the tub you'll be able to easily see any dye that suspends in the water.

After rinsing you can treat with Retayne (sets the dye) to stabilize any dye that is left, again in the tub or washer. Rinse well and block.

Both products are industry staples for hand dyers.

I've used Synthrapol by itself with good results and always use Color Catchers when washing.

Archived