Wallhanging or twin?

Now don't lecture me, folks, but I still haven't got this quilt made. However, it does at long last have a block pattern and I am attempting to finalize the layout. I had it all figured out, until I realized that if I put 12" blank blocks for appliqueing between the 12" pieced blocks the quilt will be almost twice the size! I thought maybe 7 feet square was too much for a wall hanging, so now I wonder if I shouldn't go ahead and make it a twin size quilt.... the only thing is I didn't think anyone would use it for that because of the pictures, they'd want to hang it somewhere to display it. I've already sold the applique idea to the group leader, and she was overjoyed it would have hands and feet on it ("He has no hands and feet but ours" is the theme of the quilt). So I really hesitate to leave them out now.

What is your experience with this?

P.S. I sure wish I had EQ or Quilt Pro or something, but they are cost prohibitive at this time. Pooh. Anybody know an inexpensive alternative to planning quilts? (Oh, that's right, pencil and paper... duh! 6;D)

hmmmmmmmmmm...good question...I have a twin quilt hanging on my wall right now, and I have to admit its way to big....its not 7 feet square but 7 feet x 4.5 feet and it hangs behind the couch so I can imagine what that would be like....not sure as you say that I would want one that big.

I guess you are right back to the drawing board....I have EQ and would be willing to help you should you need any....just a thought.

Thanks, Bonnie. I sure wish I could afford it right now, but I think EQ is precisely what I need. For now I think I'll just have to bite the bullet and leave out the blank in between squares to make it smaller. Do you think I could use the half squares at the edges for appliqueing the hands and feet? Or would that look dumb? Guess I need to do a little more Googling for pictures to see if anybody's done it that way.

Thanks, Bonnie. DH helped me decide yesterday. Sometimes all we need is another pair of eyes. He said, OF COURSE go with the one that's smallest, especially if it's useful in some other way, like putting on a bed, LOL! So that's what I'm doing. A twin it is.

Now... for that border.... I've been looking at the AMAZING quilts by the experts on this site, Karen McT and Fons and Porter etc. Wow, what great ideas! I found the swag border I was looking for, it was here all along, LOL!

I"ll post a pic when it's pieced. Thanks!

Archived