Help Please

I need some help with this quilt please. This customer is paying for edge to edge but I cannot for the life of me decide what kind of design to use. I dont want to use a meander because she has done such beautiful embroidery work. But I am not sure that I want to put a lot of custom work into a edge to edge quilt that is this large. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Mary

post-5061-0-94563800-1414885622_thumb.jpg

post-5061-0-47824300-1414885634_thumb.jpg

This one is problematic first from a design standpoint and then because of thread color decisions.

She wants and is paying for an overall. That is defined as a repetitious design stitched without regard to piecing. With that in mind, the stitching would continue over the embroidered motifs and the column of colored fabric. If you can easily avoid the embroidery, it's not much of a stretch to keep the cost in the overall price range.

I'd probably do echoed teardrop (petal or paisley shape) so I could work around the flowers. I wouldn't outline them--she isn't paying for any custom stitching. The teardrop shapes on the straight piecing in the column would be pretty, it would be lovely on the vast white background, and you'll be able to maneuver between and around the flowers. Density is up to you-- the denser you go, the more you're giving away, though.  ;) As for thread color, spool out some neutrals and pastels in something thin like Bottom Line. Probably a pale yellow or baby blue could work. Or go for gold or a pale variegated. White is fine but boring and the white expanse of background with a touch of color stitched on it will help to unite all the elements. 

Ok. Here's my  2 cents.  I'd ONLY use white on the white background. Love the idea of McTavishing (larger mctavishing, mind you.) or teardrops, arc's, etc. that are echo'd. It will set off those embroidered flowers. DONT stitch over those flowers. Just let them be.

Now, for the pencil straight (im guessing 2") piecing of multi fabrics, You could do a freehand small border design moving first line left to right, then 2nd line move your design Right to left, and keep going thruout until you've finished.  Whether it be leafy, scrolls, feathers...or even some straight line quilting.  I know she's paying for an all over design, but you could even plop down straight line stitching by dropping a ruler down and breaking up that design a bit. Like Myrna's "filling in the spaces" ideas.

Archived