Longarm stitching on Red work

The quilt is made up of 30 5inch embroidered squares, stitched in red embroidery thread on white.  Sashing is red; border is white and quilt size is 48x60.  The embroidery work on the Redwork quilt is stunning.  In your experience, how are these quilts finished using a long arm?  I can't imagine stitching over the embroidery, so that leaves...?

Using a thin thread like BottomLine or Invisifil you may stitch along and over the redwork without worry. Use thread to match the background, not the embroidery thread. The thread won't show. It's more distracting to have the thread veer off line when you are trying to perfectly outline without hitting the embroidered lines. I just finished a Vintage Tin embroidered quilt where I used off white BL over the embroidery which was varying shades of brown to black. The only place the thread will show is where you might have multiple overlays of thread in one place. 

I outline/trace the embroidery with the thin thread, only in the main places when the stitching will enhance the depth of the design. Don't try to trace every embroidered line. Then I stitch the background in the same block since I'm using the thread that matches the background. As for the backgrounds and any sashings or borders---just traditional longarm techniques can be used--crosshatching, fillers, echoing, etc. Pieced blocks can be stitched with CCs like for a sampler.

I'll find a photo of a finished embroidered quilt. This will take you to a Vintage Tin quilt I stitches two years ago. It won a nice award at our State Fair.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/larech/12232125066/

Archived