HELP! Needle up/down button not working

When I was warming "Betty" up last night, the machine would continue to "hum" (technical word for the motor continuing to run) when I pushed off button. It stopped in needle down position and would not budge when I pressed the needle up/down button. Button on back of machine doesn't work either, so it isn't a switch.

If I move the take up wheel to bring the needle up, I can eventually get it into position where the machine will shut off, but as I move the wheel around to see how the needle is going up and down, I noticed it moves pretty freely until I get to the down position, where it tightens up and I have to push the wheel hard to get it past that position.

Anyone have any suggestions? I just got my machine back three weeks ago from sending it out to APQS in Iowa for some major repairs. I sure as hell don't want to send it back again!!

Of course this would happen on a Saturday night when I am trying to finish a customer quilt I had promised for last weekend . . .

thanks

Sara

Sara

When you get the needle in the up position and then shut the machine down altogether then turn it on again, set the stitch length dial and activate the needlepositioner, will the needle try to position?

I think you may have some thread caught in the thumbwheel? You might need to take off the side cover opposite to where the thread tensioner is mounted and check for thread around the thumbwheel.

Sue in Australia

Sue:

thanks for the reply. I had already taken off the side cover . . . and the front cover . . .

Not sure what I did, but it seems to be working now. I did add oil to the top wicks on Saturday night before I shut it down, so maybe that could be the reason? Anyways, after I ran the machine for about 20 minutes yesterday (Sunday), it seemed to be working OK. Hopefully that's all it was, and there isn't something else lurking!

thanks

Sara

Archived