I picked up a black, greasy thead

Yuck, I hate it when that happens.....grease from the needle makes life so GREAT, and it always happens on a customers quilt....I have used several products, but my fav if you can find it in your local grocery store is called "THOR" its a product that the professional cleaners use to get grease out of your clothes, it drys clear and you can't tell where it was. It is a little smelly, but I have had great results with it. I always ask before I use it, sometimes the customers would rather try to get it out themselves, but most just said to go ahead.

Just my two cents worth...Bonnie

I have had great success with Resolve Carpet Cleaner in the spray bottle, but test it first on an edge of the fabrics in the quilt top. Some folks have reported a bleaching action with Resolve but I haven't had any problems. Usually I put some on a cotton swab and dab off the grease. Then I follow it with plain water.

Another item I can't live without is "Effortless" Stain Remover. It is sold here in vacuum cleaner stores. Haven't had any bleaching problem with it.

Good luck!

Greasy Thread

Before my quilting days, I made shirts (linen & silk ) and I used talc powder to get oil stains out of the shirts. I warm with the iron and sprinkled then with the talc , if delicate fabric, I used a pressing cloth to protect material.then leave to cool and shake off excess talc , smells great and oil or grease is gone, sometimes you have to repeat. Good luck!

Esther.

Archived