quilting on point

I just finished piecing Jackie Robinson's "Eureka" quilt. Her patterns are wonderful! Also, the fabrics are so easy to use and the colors are great.

This is a link to her pattern photo

http://www.animas.com/EurekaFuchsiaLg.html

Now, to quilt it I would like to put a feathered Circle in the middle and 1/2 feathered circles in the dark green in the center.

Here's my question. I would like to put the quilt on point and quilt a feathered border pattern following the diagonal flow of the quilt.

Could someone please give me some suggestions on how to do this?

Thank-you so much.

Penny

Hi Penny

The best way I've found, and I still don't like doing it, is to get backing fabric larger than the top by half. That is if the top measures 60, get 90 inches of backing fabric and pin that to the rollers in the usual way and then the same size batting.

Then I fully float the top diagonally. To do this:

feed the top on point under the No 2 roller and bring the point up to the backing and batting on the pick up roller;

smooth the quilt top horizontally and vertically - you can use the channel lock to make sure its horizontally straight and be sure to do this every time you roll on

To make sure its vertically straight at every roll on, straighten it then place a piece of painters tape every 12 inches or so on the no 2 roller in line with a pieced seam line on the top and every time you roll on make sure that seam line is in line with your painters tape (hope thats clear)

Smooth the edges and baste down

Best wishes

Sue in Australia

Archived