Quilting Soft and Stable for customers

Hi everyone. Got a question for you. I recently saw a video by Annie of ByAnnie.com, talking about how they send out 2-yard cuts of fabric to their longarmer to be quilted with soft and stable. I am about to start on a series of ByAnnie projects and would like to quilt the tops and linings on the longarm in one big sandwich and cut my project pieces from that. Please share what you recommend for how to best load 1 or 2 yard fabric pieces with soft and stable, what to watch out for, needle size, stitch length, add leaders(?), etc. Thanks so much!

• 4 months later...

1 hour ago, Carolyn Hensley Johnson said:

I am also interested to find if anyone has done this.  I am not seeing any replies to your question.  Am I looking in the wrong place?  I am new to this forum.

Thanks, Carolyn

Carolyn, welcome to the forum!! My life has taken a shift and I have suspended quilting for others until next year --- but .. I had a chance to speak to the woman who quilts the Soft and Stable sandwiches for Annie (of by Annie). Now, I have not tried this yet - too many other things ahead of it. But, she uses the 52" wide S&S and trims it to about 48" wide. Then loads the "backing" along the cut width of fabric with the selvedges (left on) on the sides. Centers the S&S over the backing and the top fabric and the top fabric centered on top. anchors the edges and quilts with a low density design. She said she uses the clamps on the S&S. I have trouble actually picturing all that, so after I quilt the charity top that stares at me every time I go into the studio, I will see how working with S&S works out and let you know on this thread. Have you tried quilting with S&S yet?

Thanks Sharon!  I have not tried it yet, but Longarm quilting is mentioned in the instructions. I’m planning to make four Power Up cases for gifts and I was hoping it would save a lot of time by using my Longarm. I will definitely post again after I try it. Your instructions are very helpful. 
Thanks for your help! Carolyn