A couple of "Duh" questions:

I was reading the post about burrying threads and I'm doing SID around some log cabin type-rosette blocks. I have been stopping and jumping across a 1" area on each block to begin the next area and then just begin and quilt again. I have a bad feeling that the ends of these will not hold when washed. (king size bed quilt). So here's the question, should I be backtracking around to find a way to not stop/start?

or should I pull thread 8" long begin stitching again and go back and bury threads when done?

Either way I think IO will need to re-do the blocks I have done, Can you say ALL OF THEM?

thanks for any answers

Bobbi

I sure am not an expert but here is what I would do. If it is SITD then by all means I would backtrack thru the same area already stitched espeically if it is only 1".

I always tie off threads on everyting I quilt. If I run out of bobbin thread or the thread breaks then I will unpick till I have enough to pick off. I tie the top and botton into a knot and thread with an easy thead needle pull into the layers for about 3/4 inch pull on the knot to buy and clip the ends.

So, when you say "jumping across" do you mean you didn't do a backtack couple of stitches in place to lock that in? And now there is a 1" amount of thread where you jumped across? Any way you can tie those off - 1" is not much of a tail. Maybe some experienced veterans can help you. I have DSM right now with my Freedom coming in September but I tie off with a big tail still hanging (sounds kind of dirty though hee hee). I was taught to leave 6-8" tail, use self threading needle to pop in the thread and tie a small knot, bury it and then come up through the nearest seam, cut the thread. Move on to the next. Boy I just don't know if the thing won't come undone if the thread isn't tied off in some way... any help out there?

The first quilt I did with the Hartley Fence (Thanks Myrna and DH) I did a Baptist Fan all over a queen and actually did backtrack a couple of stitches at each end where I stopped and started. After I unloaded the quilt I clipped threads leaving tails then washed and dried the quilt THEN clipped threads close. They seemed to hold, not all, but most and since the quilt is mine it is acceptable.

I think I will go bury what I can and overstitch what I cant bury.

thanks for everything

Archived