Building skills

My Liberty arrives in two weeks and I can't wait! I've been piecing quilts so I have several practice quilts. I've got a supply of muslin and batting. A variety of threads will come with my machine (February special). I've been reading books and practicing "scribbling" on my white board. I've already got several customers lined up when I'm ready to go.

Usually when you are learning something new you build one skill on another; i.e. I learned cross stitch on aida cloth, moved on to linen, learned other embroidery stitches, learned pulled thread, and finally learned Hardanger. Would anyone recommend an order to learn things on the Long Arm? Or is each type so different from the others that it doesn't matter where you start?

Thanks for your help.

Phyllis Hughes

Guest Linda S

Hi Phyllis! Congrats on your Liberty being on its way. I started with things to help me get the basic feel of the machine: simple meanders, writing my name (does everybody try that? :D), then went to trying to get my meanders evenly spaced, then tried some simple flowers, stars, etc. Do you have Darlene Epp's pocket guides? They really helped me get the idea of how to draw and quilt different designs. When I got familiar with the movement of the machine, I tried pantographs at the back. Mine were a bit square looking at first and I realized after reading some of the helpful hints here that I needed to loosen my wheels just a tad. Then things really began to flow.

At any rate, try to have fun, don't be intimidated by the machine, and don't grip the handles too tightly. In no time, you'll be having a blast!

Linda :D

Guest Linda S

I think Kings Men quilting supplies has Darlene's guides or you can get them directly from Darlene at longarmsupplies.com. I like to carry them with me to work (I still have a full time day job) and when it's raining at lunchtime, I go across the hall from my office to the classroom and draw designs on the whiteboard. I faculty are always curious about all the flowers, vines, and feathers they find there! :D

Linda

Archived