A challenge

Hopefully, some of you can advise me how to meet this challenge, because I already promised the customer I could do it.

She gave me her daughter's queen size duvet cover, which is basically a giant pillowcase, with a large opening along one side. There are big buttons and buttonholes along the opening. She has been putting a down comforter in it, but her daughter hates it because the comforter gets balled up inside and is heavy, and awkward. Makes it hard to make the bed.

She asked if I can use the duvet cover and make it into a quilt. Of course, I said yes. Now, I'm wondering how to accomplish this. I thought about taking the seams apart, but then I would have a lot of time involved ripping (Ugghh.) and then I would have to bind it. So I thought I could just measure a batt to fit exactly and somehow baste it inside so it won't shift when I mount it on my Millennium to quilt it.

If anyone has any ideas or experience with something like this, I could sure use them. This will be my 2nd customer quilt and it is for a student of mine, so I really want to do a nice job on it. I'm praying some of you will have some words of wisdom for me on this one.

thanks much,

Karol

Inverness, FL

I have made quilts like this before so what I would do is open the cover, lay it out smooth, spray bast the batting, and then turn it right side out. You will need to baste fabric strips to each side and end to have room to quilt it. I'd do the quilting then stitch about an inch inside all around the quilt.

Judy in MO

Judy,

That sounds like a good plan, and one I hadn't thought of. I have never used spray basting. Any recommendations? I know it's nasty stuff that you should try not to inhale!!!

I had my Open House for my new Longarm business today. I think around 20 people came, which was not bad for a rainy Saturday. It was exhausting, (the getting ready part) but great fun. Got to see some old friends and make some new ones. I now have three customer quilts to do, and more promised. My business is officially open! (And blessed - my neighbor came over and said a beautiful prayer asking God's blessing on my hands, my work, and the people I will be working with.)

I am especially thankful for each of you who participate in this forum, and have helped me with your experience and advice.

Karol

Inverness, FL

Sullivan's Basting Spray is the ONLY one that I have had total success with. It stays with you until you are completly finished...where some of the sprays will only stay in the fabric 24 - 48 hours and then you need to reapply.

Fumes aren't really the bad thing...its the over spray...be very careful as to how much you get onto the fabric...its like a cloud and if you get to close to the edge...yep it goes to the floor, walls and even the ceiling. It will clean up with soap and water, but who wants to do that. You can take it to the patio (if you have one) and do the spraying outside.

I also find that my hands and arms are quite tacky when I've finished spraying and if you inhale to much of the stuff it will stick to your nose hairs! :P

I've used a few different types, the LQS recommends the 505 spray but I haven't had much luck with that. I mostly use the June Taylor brand just because it's easier for me to find, it does stink though.

I'm thinking about trying it outside. I have some old sheets I can spread out and then I won't have to worry about overspray. I hope this works. I got June Tailor, because it was available where I live. It says that it works best with cotton batting, but I am using poly. I'll just hope for the best. I think this will be better than taking it all apart because I won't have to bind it.

Thaks for your tips.

Karol

Archived