Longarm University

I haven't gone. What I have done is gone to MQX and taken classes. The prices are very reasonable. You can chose from a wide variety of teachers and subjects, which I think is good. By having different teachers you get a wide perspective of machine quilting techinques and advice. Plus, you get to see some stunning quilts and quilting. Next year I will be going to MQS because I haven't done that show or classes.

Cheryl

I went through the four day course in 2004 just after getting my Millie.

Three full days (8am to 5pm with snacks and lunch) were spent being instructed by a different professional longarmer each day and the fourth was a full day on business aspects by a CPA.

At the time it seemed like a lot to spend but looking back I see that it was worth the money.

Cindy has a Gammill and half the day was hands-on with only four students.

The hand-outs were invaluable as I was jumping into a business and they shared brochures, in-take sheets and bookkeeping ideas.

This was in June and by September I was at Innovations taking classes there.

I am lucky because I live close enough to Cindy (40 miles) that I drove back and forth daily. If you need to pay for accomodations the expense might have made me think a little more about attending.

If you compare a two or three hour lecture at a show for $40 or so against an eight hour intensive day with hands-on at about $125 I guess it would even out.

Anybody else out there go to LU?

Linda Rech

Archived