EQ5

I understand that this EQ5 is sold. Does anyone here have this program and know its possibilities and limitations? If so, can you please tell me a little bit about it.

I am thinking about buying it to design my own patterns and I am wondering can it generate templates, patterns etc.

Thanks

Hi Heidi! The EQ5 program sounds like it might work for you. It allows you to design blocks and quilts using real fabric swatches so you can see what your project is going to look like. It has embroidery designs you can add and even quilting overlays so you can see the final product.

I teach EQ5 classes at the LQS and it's really getting popular. It is not for someone that likes to use quilt kits but if you like to try different designs and try out different fabrics then it's great. Once you have finalized your design you can print out the amount of fabric that you need, foundation & piecing templates, and even fabric swatches to take to the store.

If you can't decide on a border it allows you to quickly "audition" all of the fabrics in your project stash, and if you have a scanner, you can even scan your own stash into the program. As you can tell, I really love this software. Using some of the more advanced features it is a very powerful tool.

For more information go to www.electricquilt.com. And those of you that already have this software, you can download free fabric stashes from this website every month. There are also lots of free instructions here too.

Hope this helps. If you have any additional questions feel free to e-mail me personally.

I use my digital camera to take pix of my fabric for importing. I can lay out 10 or 12 or however many fabs I might want to use. Take one picture, then cut and paste portions of each individual fabric from the one picture to a new file so I don't have to keep scanning different fabrics or taking pictures of the individual fabrics.

Also, you can right click on fabs from web sites like Big Horn Quilts or Webfabrics.net or your favorite online shop and save those images as .bmp (some have to be reduced) and import those images.

I love EQ!

Archived