George Owners - starts and stops

MleS

Hi All George Owners,

How do you handle starts and stops?

I like continuous line quilting, but sometimes I need to start and stop. I have tried various methods - small stitches, knotting ends and burying them, pulling up ends and stitching over them - but I have not found a method that I like. They are all so time consuming. Do you have any suggestions?

Emily

No, George here...just an old time non-stitch regulated machine and no fancy bells and whistles....no thread cutter and/or one stitch....

Knotting and burying the ends is going to be your least eye sore...they are hidden and you need to look for them...yes very time consuming, but the best that I have found.

The other methods are quicker...but like you I don't like the looks, and when judged they are the worst to hide. So I guess for me the knotting and burying method will continure to be my way....

I have a big Millie, but I really like burying the threads. I think it is because it reminds me of my hand quilting days. I use either a large eyed between or one of those easy threading needles and weave it back through the last bit of stitches. Also, I knot as I go, because I know I'll forget or get bored doing it later (like when you trim threads as you go while piecing).

I do admit that sometimes I have just made a knot, trimmed it real close, and used Fray check to secure it, but since I started burying threads, it is much easier and no mess.

I hope you find a method that works for you.

Archived