holes in backing fabric

I'm having a terrible time with my backing fabic. It is a good quality wide backing from Northcott, the behind the quilt 108 inch wide stuff. I am getting holes punched through where the needle goes through. I've put in a new needle, and played with the tension. I've prewashed the fabric to remove the sizing. I'm not getting thread from the top going through, just these bleeping holes. It feels like I'm reading braille with my fingers. How do I fix this, or is it normal?! Help

Catherine:

I've had the same thing happen and sometimes it happens with a good, name brand fabric. It isn't you and probably nothing you can do to stop it from happening. If you've put in a new needle, the only other thing I might suggest is to be sure you don't have too much tension on the backing. Wish I could tell you something more but I have yet to find anything that stops the holes. Luckily, I haven't had it happen very often but I do believe it's the fabric and not you.

Its not you, its that lovely Northcott fabric. I have about 60 yards of it in here for my own quilt backs, and while it has a nice hand the weave does hold the needle holes. I tell all of my customers that Northcott has this tendency and there is nothing I can do to prevent the visible holes.

If it really bothers you, you can spritz the backing with water after you're done quilting. Also, the holes will relax a bit when it comes off the frame.

Linda Norton, Indiana

Archived