Soapstone

There are some that use it....but its a product that was invented for the steel industry....my hubby is a welder and has tons of this laying around. I tried it once, but the fabric wasn't course enough for the stone to pull it off the stick....so I took all the ones that stole out of his tool box and didn't even tell him I had lifted them....:D

If you are only going to make a spot mark for a tailor tac or something like a button hole it will work, but when you are talking about marking a whole quilt it just doesn't do well enough for that....as far as coming out of the fabric no problem it just stays on the top. No the trouble its getting it to stick well enough or long enough that is more of the problem.

I just bought s soapstone "pen" at the Harrisburg quilt show this fall. I tried it at a demo table and it seems to be OK on dark fabrics. The problem is that when I got it home, it did not do so well. Most of my fabrics have some sort of a print and the soapstone just doesn't show up on it. I was very dissapointed! It also came with a graphite "pen," but the other problem is that the graphite and the soapstone don't seem to fit in the holder (pen) so I have to just hold them directly, and then they break. It seems like a loose, loose situation to me. The company is called "Morgan." I feel as though I threw away about $12.

Archived