loaning of DVD's or books

Hi Beth

I just read the post on loaning books and DVD\'s. I am so happy you would like to have my Beginner DVD\'s.

I don\'t know quite how to approach this issue though and I do not want to offend you or anyone. But, I do want to share my thought on this subject.

It is really expensive to make DVD\'s, books, designs or even class handouts. Not to mention the time and hard work it takes. So sharing or lending any of these things really cut into that persons income, be it me or any other educator. And then the copyright issue. Selling something one no longer uses or needs is another thing. I have no doubt that as students and educators we all support each other and that you did not think of the other side of this coin. I am really at ends on posting this, however I do hope everyone thinks about these issues before sharing educational materials. If everyone does this a lot of us will have to stop our job because of the loss of income and the expense of making these products. I do ask that students in every class I teach not to copy and share my handouts. I have also had students in my studio classes ask to borrow others books or DVD\'s that I have bought and I tell them no and why. Now I just keep them put away. I am sure you did not think about this and again I hope not to offend you or anyone.

Myrna

I understand Myrna\'s point and have experienced the borrowing/copying thing in the crafting world. The guild here has a library from which you can check out books/patterns/DVD\'s etc. They have fund raiser functions and then buy materials for the library. It would at least be nice to view a book/DVD by borrowing it to see if it really fits your needs and then spend the $ on it. Sharing seems like a "green" idea because then we don\'t need to use so many of the earth\'s resources. I must say, I usually buy everything because I want it at my disposal when I need it. The only green I see is the stuff leaving my wallet.

Archived