It seems that on every quilt, I have a black spot. It looks like it is from the rubbing action of the metal and oil. I thought at first it was coming from the needle, but I'm no longer convinced that is where it is originating. It always seems to happen on light sections. Of course, that is just where I happen to see it. It is about half the size of a pencil erases by the time it spreads.

Does anyone else have this problem? And how do I fix it???

Nothing seems to take the spot out, either.

Guest Linda S

Melanie - not sure if this is it, as mine don't usually look black, but if you have oil dripping down from the needle (happens when you oil your machine), try putting some cornstarch on the spot and seeing if any of it gets soaked up. I'm not sure how I'd get the black out, but it will keep the stain from spreading. There are a lot of stain removal products that may take the stain out after you get the oil out of it.

Linda

I get dusty lint on my needle bar which leaves a stain on fabric. The trick here is to remove the line while the machine head is off the quilt; just use a tissue and wipe. Be sure to put your needle down so you can wipe the entire needle bar.

Sounds like you need to clean your machine pretty well. Make sure it is off the quilt and put a paper towel under the hopping foot. Now wipe down the needle bar and foot with rubbing alcohol on a paper towel. Put the needle down and do it again. Get a cotton swab and clean the inside of your hopping foot. Then wipe everything down with a white rag to see if you have any more goo.

I make a point to clean my machine before each use; its a good habit to develop especially when you're working with white/light fabrics.

If you have a black oily stain on a quilt Resolve carpet cleaner might be able to help. But TEST IT FIRST on a scrap. It can bleach fabric, although I've never had this problem. When the Resolve works, follow with clean cool water.

Hope this helps.

LindaN

I was told by a friend that ran a carpet cleaning business not to use Resolve because it has teflon in it. If the Resolve doesn't get the stain out, then the teflon will seal it in and you'll never get the stain out. I asked the question of the people that cleaned my carpet last year and wanted to treat it with teflon and he agreed that once the teflon went on, any stain that remained in the carpet would not come out. I'm pretty sure that Resolve is the carpet cleaner that has teflon in it.

Phyllis

Never heard that about Resolve, but then again I don't have carpets in the house. (I have allergies and carpets are dirt and dust magnets).

I also have a stain remover called "Effortless" which I buy at the vacuum cleaner store. It can be used in the laundry and does a great job on just about anything. DH does HVAC and is often quite dirty. The Effortless does a good job when I want to salvage his nice shirts and it doesn't bleach.

I need info on quilting when a polyester batting is used in the quilt....I use

cotton batting for my personal quilts. I have my first quilt to do for someone else and the batting is polyester......if there is something to be considered in the difference of batting materials...might save me experimenting on someone's quilt.....any info would be appreciated...

thank You....Beverly in NC...:)

Archived