QUILTED POTTERY BARN COSMETIC BAGS

I just got an email from Pottery Barn. They have really cute cosmetic bags as a gift suggestion. They are channel quilted and cost $29!!! We're talking cosmetic bags. You know, SMALL things. I can do this same thing using a quilt shop pattern( I usually make up my own patterns though) and some fabric I quilt myself. I can see a yummy silk or even a layered organdy in large pieces, quilt it up whole cloth style, cut it out and make a gorgeous gift for waaaaay less than $29. Am I crazy here or are these prices ridiculous? What's a yard of silk, $7 at eQuilter? Satin is less. Pretty metallic cottons about the same. Sheesh.

Absolutely - you are not crazy I think the same thing when I look at Lands End Home catalog every Christmas and they are advertising quilted bedspreads which I know I can make for way less. And, people could choose the color, style, etc. Make some up and sell them at an open house or school xmas festival!!

I have made lots and lots of small "cosmetic" bags over the years. I change the style and size every so often as the mood moves me to do so. Everyone seems to love them and use them. I sold mine at craft fairs/Christmas Bazaars for $15 up to $22.50, depending on the size, etc. I serge all my raw edges and fray check the ends, trying to cover every detail and make them look good and last. I also play around with beading (as in jewelry) so sometimes I make fancy zipper pulls for them, too, other times just a thin piece of swede is looped on. There so much fun to make.

Archived