Timing Went Out

I was quilting a log cabin flannel quilt top, the backing was also flannel - three pieces sewn together. Half way through the quilt my machine jammed. After shutting it off, moving needle up by hand, moved the machine off to the side, took the top plate off. Turned the wheel by hand and the needle was hitting the top of the Hook - not on the V that passes the needle, the next part where the needle comes down, it hit just before the opening. I know the timing is out and I think the needle bar has to be reposition. When I tried to retime the hook -those screws were in there tight, even my brother had a time getting them loose. So why did it move out of place. I got it retimed enough to finish that quilt. But I'm wondering if I should use a bigger needle when I do these flannel quilts with small pieces and lots of seams. I used a MR 4 needle. What size needle do I need and do I need to retime when I use the bigger needle. My Millie is resting now while I figure out what to do next. Do I do the needle bar first and then retime? I can see all the eye of the needle, but I read somewhere that you should also see a bit above the eye.

Hi Virginia,

I use MR4.0 needles 95% of the time; on denims, flannels, cottons, whatever. The only time I had to go to a larger needle was on a denim quilt that had corduroy patches in it. The corduroy cut the thread every time the needle went through it. Changed to a larger needle, and the problem went away.

The very first step in timing the machine is making sure the needle bar is at the right height. Most of the time, that is ALL you will have to do. If you hit a ruler, or maybe didn't get the needle up all the way, or didn't tighten the screw enough (ASK me how I know about THAT one!), the needle bar may get pushed up and the machine will be "out of time".

But always check the needle bar height first. And get yourself a jewellers loupe or a good magnifying glass. You may think you have the needle bar exactly right, or the hook close enough to the scarf of the needle, but usually the magnifying glass will show you that you're not quite there yet.

If you have trouble, phone Connie at the plant. She's great at walking you through things like this. Also, the video that came with your machine, or the APQS Maintenance video will walk you through the whole process visually, up close and personal. The manual also has a good explanation of how to time the machine.

You can phone me if you need more help too. You have my number.

Archived