f2innovations

hi, is anyone using the F2 Innovation? I read all I could about it ,(I think) ,still wondering if I'm going to get a response from the site. I'm thinking to purchase the software but not sure how, anytakers?Also, As I sit in the heavens of a great Quilting area, starting up my business is scary & exciting, as i'm adding on to my house, I'm wondering how much over head in suplies I'll be needing to beable to have enough resource to make the beginning successful.I know that a broad ranged question but i know I'm already looking at copy machine, computer,paper, battings,thread,ect... SCARY, but not cold feet. ENCOURAGING words are a WELCOME .::P. Ill see ya sometime today ladies, Ps. Linda & Judy, You are both awsome with your letters to the memebers. I belong to a quilt quild too.I live it to say the least.

I don't even know what the F2 Innovation is so I hope someone responds here.

As far as other startup expenses, I wouldn't worry too much about that. If you're adding on to your home and purchasing the machine, that's about 99% of what you need to spend. Here's my list of "gotta haves":

Business insurance - make sure you have that! Most, if not all, homeowner's coverage excludes business ventures. I don't worry about someone falling at my house because I don't have clients coming here. I arrange to either meet them at the local shops or wherever it can be arranged -- anywhere but my studio. But, if you have a loss in your home, and your homeowner's carrier finds out it's a business venture, they are probably not going to pay for any property of others you have in your care. As far as the cost of business insurance, I've had a business endorsement on my homeowners policies for about $80/year but we're now changing insurers and I am having a hard time finding anyone who will even offer this coverage. Still checking.

Extended Base - Sherry Rodgers (http://sewfarsewgood.org/extend_a_base_plus.html) There are others out there too. This allows you to have a resting area for your rulers/templates.

Thread - You can go hawg wild buying thread but don't break the bank. You can start off with some basic colors and add to your collection from there. http://www.kmquiltingsupply.com or http://www.columbiariverquilting.com are good places to start looking for thread.

Batting - You can buy rolls and rolls or in the beginning, if you have a Hobby Lobby or a JoAnn's, they run half price batting sales often. When they do, that's less than I can get it wholesale by the time I pay shipping. I still prefer to use the rolls and since Hobbs & Quilters Dream are my favorites, I don't take advantage of the sales at Hobby Lobby & JoAnn's but if I were starting out, I sure would.

You will need some pantos and stencils. I recommend any of Jodi Beamish's pantos. They are so easy to use! - http://www.willowleafstudio.com

The Stencil Company -(http://www.quiltingstencils.com) has a great selection of stencils.

But, with the stencils and pantos, hold off on buying many of those til you see what you like and what your clients will like. It's real easy to order too much and then find that you really don't like doing certain things and since it's YOUR business, you can do what YOU like to do!:D

Donita Reeve has lots of neat gadgets/rulers. http://www.lovetoquilt.com I've just recently ordered some of her products and they're great.

If you want a bookkeeping program, you'll need that but probably not Day 1. I like Quick Books Pro. I can just put everything on a CD and take it to my CPA at the end of the year and then she has a heart attack because I still didn't get it all in the right places! I HATE bookkeeping!:mad:

You'll need small ticket items like business cards, marking pencils/pens, muslin or something fairly inexpensive for practicing. I know there are other things I'm forgetting but this is a good start.

I typed in f2innovations & came up with a site that belongs to (email)BONAJR@aol.com, It says QBS.(Quilting business support) QBSsupport@f2innovations.com Check it out, When I was assistant mngr of of a different bus. the software is simular. It helps keep EVERYTHING in perspective as well as teach more about organizing & keep up,taxes,ect... I'm interested for sure. THANK YOU so much for the help I'm recieving, I'm still choosing how to roof the bus. found out today its more $ to add to the house so we pondered building a separate one on my property, finished to end, maybe a modular may be the key, Still no cold feet, CANT WAIT:D, I do own MANT things already, as I am an avid quilter. LOVE this SITE, Thanks gals. see ya soon, aka:Cindaroo, Cinderella

Back when I first started, I did buy some kind of software tag along type thing from Bona. I think it went along with Quick Books Pro . . can't really remember.

I can't say anything about the f2innovations but I'm real happy with Quick Books Pro. I can't imagine that in a regular longarm business, you would need anything more than it can offer but I'm pretty much a dummy when it comes to bookkeeping.

Hi Cindaroo! (lol,love that)

OHHHH! I have that program! I didnt realize that this was what it was called!

Judy is correct, it works in conjunction with Quickbooks. Bona has incorperated allot of the items and services that we as an industry use day to day. All you do is custimize it according to the prices you have determined for yourself. Bona has said many times that you can purchace the QB program very often on EBAY for a very reasonable price. I highly recomend it!

One correction to Judy's message. Although I am grateful for the plug to my products, I must tell you that the Extend-A-Base Plus is only currently available for the Gammill machines at this time. I currently use the Hartley Base, available through APQS or Myrna Ficken http://www.aquilterschoice.com/

HTH,

• 3 weeks later...

Are you talking about Quilter's Business Suite? It is a software developed by f2innovations and is in the process of being updated. It is unavailable at this time. It is software for the quilting business. I am anxious to check it out. When available it can be purchased on lequilters.com.

There is a new software specifically designed for longarmers that I will begin testing next week. It should be ready for the market within about six weeks and it is supposed to be great! This lady is a programmer (or whatever it is that makes up software) and her friend is a longarmer and together, they came up with some of the neatest things for us! I don't know all that it will do yet but from the initial interaction, it is going to be more than I could have hoped for.

So, I would encourage anyone wanting to buy new bookkeeping software to hang on just a little longer.

I will keep you posted as I know more.

Guest Linda S

Judy - do let us know how you like the software and, when you can, what it is! I have Quicken on my computer, but anything I can get that will make this easier for me will be terrific. Several of my family members are in a panic, thinking I've taken leave of my senses. They can't believe that I'd spend that much on a machine and expect to get business. I need every tool in the book to prove them wrong! :P

Well, I'm off to the home improvement store to look at insulation and wallboard for improving my "studio!" I don't think I can, I KNOW I CAN, dag nab it! :D

Linda

Linda: I know you can do this and you WILL! And, in a very short time, you too will know you made the right decision.

As far as the bookkeeping program, I will keep you posted. I'm excited about the new program because it was designed totally with the longarmer in mind.

I currently use QuickBooks Pro and it has worked great but I think the new program will work much better.

Don't stress Linda . . take each day as it comes and even though some days will be frustrating, most will be totally fun!!!

Guest Linda S

I've been working so hard to get ready, Judy, I know this is going to be wonderful! I go up to see (name removed) in Corvallis tomorrow. I can't wait to try the machine, hope I can at least move it without spazzing out. :P I've been reading my longarm quilting books, cleaning out the attic, and measured it all up today. Then I went to the home improvement store for an estimate on insulation and drywall -- it's got really funky walls right now. Looks like I can fit all of this into my budget!! I even have two more quilt tops started so that I'll have something to do when I get the machine. I'll probably have time to make quite a few more before it gets here! I am just thrilled to finally be working towards something that I LOVE to do. I just can't picture myself chained to my desk at the University for more than the next five years -- that would put me in an early grave for sure. This gives me new energy. Thanks for all your support you and everyone here have been just great. :D

Linda

Archived