I'm going to McTavish now...need suggestions

I just recieved an early Christmas present, and I'm so excited! It's "Mastering the Art of McTavishing". (actually I cheated and opened it early, but don't tell my son! I practiced too!) there is this great sweatshirt jacket in it.

Here's the deal:

I'm going to a semi-formal Holiday event Tuesday night and I was going to make a simple black velvet jacket to go with my black velvet pants. I had seen a gal with this great jacket at the Quilting With Machines show in Columbiana OH. It was McTavished and she embellished it with Austrian crystals.

Here's my question.... I have a black sweatshirt, and the backing is going to be black velvet. I want to make the velvet the outside and add some Austrian crystals to set it off. I have everything, but the velvet has a bit of a "give" to it. If I pin and baste before I put it on the machine (Ultimate 1) do you think it will be ok? Or should I load the velvet and pin and baste the sweatshirt after. I'm going to use the Signature black thread It's what the designer used. Any hints anyone?? I appreciate any information you could give me to make this a successful project!

Thanks!

Bobbi,

What if you tried using a fusible on the velvet. Not a heavy stabilizer but the knit stablizers that are out there. Also I would check to see if it gives one way but not the other. Most of the time with a stretchy fabric it gives more one way than the other. I would do something to stabilize it if both sides stretch.

Good luck and post pictures!

Heidi

Hi Bobbi,

Load the velvet with the least stretch going back-to-front if possible. Is the wrong side of the velvet a knit-looking texture? If so, roll the backer (velvet) completely onto the take-up roller so you can load the sweatshirt and quilt from the bottom UP. Lay the opened-out sweatshirt with the bottom back at the bottom edge of the loaded velvet--center what would be the center-back of the sweatshirt on the center line of the backer. Use a good spray baste (I think the June Tailor with the blue label is what I last used) and spray the underside of the sweatshirt in smaller areas and smooth down. Spray and smooth everything you can reach---up to the back roller. Let the rest of the sweatshirt just lay over the back rollers. With big stitches, baste all the reachable edges a quarter inch (or less) in from the edges. Quilt, advance towards you, spray baste to stabilize, baste, and quilt some more. Make sure the sleeves are at the same angle when you spray and baste them. I have made several jackets this way but never with velvet. Let us know how it comes out and post a pic when you are done. It sounds luscious!!!

All,

I am sooooo bummed... spent the day practicing, loading and spraying, basting, etc. Even with stablizing it just won\'t work on the longarm... It really needs a ballpoint needle. The bottom thread won\'t catch... Now I don\'t have time or energy to research and get one if it exists. SOOO, back to my first plan, simple jacket. I WILL McTavish a black jacket though... maybe with velveteen as was suggested by someone. We\'ll see.

thanks for all your suggestions, I\'ll let you know when I get it done.

Merry Christmas!

Bobbi

Sorry you couldn\'t finish your project, Bobbi. Maybe you could load the velvet with the nap side up and Mctavish the whole thing. Then finish as a wrap or shawl. It would be fabulous embellished with crystals. I think there are ballpoint needles out there---yep, Columbia River Quilting has them in several sizes listed under longarm supplies. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Archived