Newbie with quilting sequence questions?

Hi everyone. I am new to long arm quilting and very glad to be apart of your community. I read the following response from Dawn about quilting sequence. Below is what the post read. Can anyone please clarify what "below the first, outermost top border " means. Does everyone else use this sequence to quilt.

"My personal "order" of quilting is:

- Attach the quilt to the frame (quilter's choice--pin or float; I pin)

- Use pins to hold the side borders in place

- Quilt the ditch below the first, outermost top border (this stabilizes the fabric; I personally don't stitch down the vertical ditches until I turn the quilt)

- Insert the border design into the top border

- Quilt the ditch below the next border, if there is one

- Insert the border design into the second border

- Quilt what I can in the field, except for any long vertical

areas, which will be done when I turn the quilt

- Advance the quilt to the next section, and add pins to the side borders (the other pins stay in the border as it is rolled up on the take-up roller)

- Quilt the "field", but still no long vertical quilting, like the side borders, long vertical ditches, sashes, etc.

- Quilt the bottom interior border ditch, then add the border design

- Quilt the ditch between the last two borders, then add the outer border design

- Turn the quilt clockwise and reattach it to the machine, using the pins I've left in the side borders as I go

- Quilt any remaining sections

I think it just means stitch in the ditch along the top border, then inside the border with whatever design you choose. I believe Dawn is basically saying to quilt top to bottom in your field, then advance the quilt. Top to bottom in your field, then advance the quilt, etc. Then, any long vertical borders or sashing she turns the quilt to do horizontally.

I printed this post awhile ago, too. Dawn is so great at breaking things down to the nitty gritty!

Jen

Hey quiltsoftime,

I didn\'t mean to make you feel silly. When you first start out, it is like trying to learn a new language. This is the place to ask questions, even if you think it is silly. The question has probably already been asked and answered on this forum.

We should create a picture dictionary for the forum. DH means Dear Husband and here is a photo :P :P:

post--13461898852043_thumb.jpg

Archived