screws are Rounded- how do I get them out?

OK so I am trying to take the cover off the side of the machine to fix the starter for the light bulb. 3 of the cheap aluminum srews are in so tight that when I try to get them out they get rounded off. So know that I can't use the screw driver to get them out. What am I suppose to do?

Hi Diane,

My screwdriver stripped the screws,when I tried to open the cover. We got a kit called screw doctor at Home Depot. It was cheap and worked really well.

It has a glue that helps the screwdriver not lose its hold, and it has little diamond cutters, so if the glue doesn't work,with a drill, you actually cut a little bigger slot and then you can unscrew it with a little bit bigger screw driver. Sounds a little weird, but it wasn't hard. You will probably need a drill though.

I switched out the old screws with new screws from home Depot, with better heads, that would not strip, and had no problem removing the cover after that.

HTH

Kerri :)

I have been quite successful removing damaged screws by taking a scratch awl and putting it in the middle of the damaged screw and then taping it with a hammer. This loosens the threads. I have also cut a slot in the screw head with a cutoff blade on a Dremel tool then used a slotted screwdriver. Sears has a damaged screw removal kit. It is not cheap but to the best of my knowledge it works quite good. A possible problem with replacing the screws with harder screws you then have the possibility of stripping the threads in the machine.

Good Luck

John

thanks John and Kerri, DH got the screws out with some snap-on tools he uses at work. I bet those were more expensive than the ones from sears or the home depot.LOL. I have replaced the screws and only tightened them as tight as I need so I can get them back out for cleaning. Di

Guest Linda S

It's very important to use the correct size screwdriver and use proper pressure when removing screws of any kind. Most will strip easily if you don't. I have a screwdriver with changeable bits so I can get them to fit tightly. I've never had any trouble with the screws on my machine, even though they were tightened quite a bit.

Linda

Archived