"YOUR" first quilt

My first quilt was a triple rail fence from Alex Anderson\'s "Let\'s Start Quilting" book (I think that\'s what it\'s called). I have always admired quilts and didn\'t think I could make one. One day I was watching Simply Quilts and saw how easy a beginning quilt looked to make and I said, "I can do that." I did and I\'ve been doing it ever since:)

I started sewing very young and did many years of 4-H. I made all my own clothes and then my boys as they were growing up. Never had the slightest urge to piece a quilt until my best friend encouraged(nagged)me to try. She left on a two week vacation and left me her rotary cutter to "try it out". I had to get my quilt cut out so that she could have her cutter back since she was already "addicted". That\'s all it took. We\'ve spent the last four years makaing quilts for each other and charity, going to quilt retreats, and hiding our stashes from our husbands.

I learned to quilt helping my Granny when she kept me after school and during the summers of my youth. She had an old Singer treadle machine. My brother has it right now but I told him that I wanted it!!!:)

Granny let me cut out her pieces and lay out her blocks on the bed. She taught me many things. My mom worked all day in the factory so Granny was my "surrogate" mom. Granny passed away when I was entering those tough teenage years and my quilting ended at that point. I thought about it off and on but didn\'t pick it back up until recently. I do have a crazy quilt top that I completed and it\'s stored in the cedar chest somewhere - I\'ll need to go and get it out and quilt it!! I hadn\'t thought about it at all until Ammoman started this thread. Thanks Ammoman for the memories!!:)

Archived