sewing bindings

I posted another letter recently, but didn't want to add this and make it TOO LONG....so this is #2 today...sorry to

monopolize the board...

BUT...I'm making big decisions here..and am PRESSURED!!!

Today I was shown a machine called "Tec-Sew" or "Tac-Sew".

and it had an attachment on it that sewed the binding on

in one fell-swoop. It was fantastic. Folded and sewn on

both sides at the same time...and in minutes...Does anyone

have experience with a machine similar? Does anyone

provide binding service with their quilting? Charges?

I am learning so much and still remaining confused that it

boggles my mind!!!!

Mary Lou:

I do know that some LAQ offer binding as one of their add on services. Not sure how they do it yet, though, but I think they only sew one side on -- the back still needs to be hand stitched when it goes back to owner.

perhaps someone else on the list can give you more info.

Sara

I offer two different binding services in my business and my DIL does the sewing. To machine sew the binding on both sides I charge 10 cents per linear inch with a $25 minimum. This is very popular with baby and kids quilts. To machine sew the binding on the front and then hand stitch the binding down on the back I charge 15 cents per linear inch with the same $25 minimum. Typically I would take $5 for generating the business and pay the balance to the binder but because it is my DIL I don't take my share.

About 80% of my clients are currently having the binding done with the quilting. I attribute that high percentage to the fact that many of my quilters are women who have been quilting for years and just don't like to do the binding anymore and because my daughter-in-law does such an awesome job. I even have her do my binding.

Hope this helps.

Happy Quilting!

I also have been doing alot of binding lately. I use my domestic machine to sew the binding on, and hand stitch it to the back of the quilt. Big money here...so don't pass it up if you can. My neighbor has even offered to do this if I need help because it is very lucrative (unless of course, you don't like binding!). I'm sure that this can also be machine done, but the examples I've seen did not have the quality results that I look for (I'm picky), so I hand bind.

Cynthia Willard

Thanks gals, for all of the feed back...I hope you don't get tired of me

picking your brains..if I EVER GET A NEW MACHINE...and get busy quilting, you won't hear from me again probably....

This machine did a very neat job of the binding...and would look good on

probably 90% of quilts. Of course, there are some very sensational quilts

that SHOULD have the binding sewn on by hand...

I don't mind sewing bindings...I do it at night just resting...but think I am

going to go the mechanical route for the majority of them if I can get a

machine to do it. Investigating whether my short-arm can be adapted

with the binding attachment...that would save me $1200. I didn't realize

the amount charged for the bindings..that's pretty good...

Thanks again for the info..I'm filing it all...ML

Archived