another question

Well.........It\'s already 8:30 and I just got my quilt completely loaded!! About an hour there was to make and eat supper:Dthough I really didn\'t want to do that! Now I have another question. I got my sides, borders and seams all lined up while I was rolling it on. It\'s all pinned. I used my channel lock to just slide across the top in between my inside border and top to see if it was straight. ...... it\'s not I start out on the left side and slide, goes pretty much along the seam and then it goes up into the border about 1/4" up to almost 1/2 \'\'. Do I need to take it off and start again or is that normal for the top of the quilt? My sides are all lined up and you can\'t believe how carefully I measured my quilt making sure all sides were even ! Thanks again for your help!! linda

I guess my first question would be are you quilting freehand or are you using a computer to do the actual quilting.

Also I wonder if you have a twist in your borders...are they showing straight or do they have a bend in them...if you freehand them with a bend in them, they will stay that way forever...so I guess it would depend on whether you care about that part or not...Also if you are using a computer I would think you have to have it exactly square, but if you are freehanding the quilting...STD, Stencils or just winging it freehand, I wouldn\'t get that fussy over 1/2 inch. As long as the borders were straight and not a noticable bend or bow in them.

However if you are doing an Panto, (I don\'t use many of them so I don\'t really know for sure) but wouldn\'t you want it again as close to exact as you can get...if you are off 1/2 at the top you may or may not become more off as you go down the rows. Or at least I would think you would.

Thanks Bonnie! I am freehanding it. I don\'t have a computer. THis is my first REAL quilt and it is for a dear friend\'s baby, so I want it to be good!! I got it straighten up somewhat this morning. It is hardly off now!:) I am scared to actually start quilting it!! It is flannel, and I have a feeling I shouldn\'t have made my first quilt a flanne one!:o Should I use the invisable thread for the SID? Thanks a bunch, Bonnie!! linda

Linda, that is a personal thing....if you are GOOD at STD then I would use what ever color matches the material, but where you said this is your first quilt and flannel to boot I think I would us a Mono thread...remember Smoke for darker colors and clear for lighter colors....that way it won\'t show to much if you run outside where it should be.:)

You will be fine...just remember to breath and go slow its not a race..and it will come out great. The fist one is always the scarest. Because this is being done for a friend, I know how important it is to get it right, but remember she will love it NO MATTER what. Enjoy yourself and this is suppose to be fun not stressful.;)

Archived