Timing(???) problems in Gammill can anyone help shed some light?

Hi Everone!! My MIL and I have a Gammill classic. we have had it for nearly a year with very few problems, we muddle through not really knowing what we are doing :)

MIL got the machine from her sister so we have had no formal training on maintance or fixing of problems, I mention this because I feel like a two year old trying to be grown up!

Tonight I was happily sewing away with only two inches left to do on my quilt when rattle rattle crack snap happened. Yikes. I was doing a Panto so I went around to the other side of the machine and saw that my needle had broke and there was a little tear in the quilt where I had been sewing.

I changed the needle and made sure the bobbin area was tight and tried again the machine acted like it was jammed so I turned the power off and tried to manually turn the crank thing the needle broke again. So I assume my bobbin stuff is not in the right place???? Is that the timing???

I looked in our manual and it has a thing on timing with a tool, I looked in our stuff and we have a tool but it looks nothing like the one in the picture. ( I can take a pic of what I have if needed. I have no idea to use what I have. Once before I did mess around for hours and finally got the machine working but I don\'t totally remember what I did.

I would really appreciate any advice you have for this newbie.

Thank you!!!

Meghan

I have a 1999 Gammill classic. When she pops and snaps like that usuall the bobbin case has released and the needle hits , breaking. Sometimes u get lucky, just make sure the boobin and case are tight. Install a new needle any you are back in business. But sometimes you have to retime. Go the gammill website and download their free manual and it explains how to time it. I love that little timing tool u are talking about. as I remember u make sure the needle is as far down as it will go then attach the tool to the shaft at the very top making sure the little extra lever is above, tighten the tool down then swing out the top lever this will leave a space above the needle bar,then raise needle as far up as it will go with tool still installed,check your hook and see if it is behind the scarf of the needle. If not loosen your hook assembly,rotate the hook by hand until it is behind the needle in the lower half of the scarf.tighten but make sure the hook does not rub the needle or deflect it before u tighten it. clear as mud right LOL Carol maybe this will help u understand the written instructions better. sometimes a stray thread can make it seem like it is locking up, Hope this helps:D:cool:

Thank you iquiltit! I have the manual printed off already.... I will follow the instructions and try to figure out how to use my timing thingy... its in 4 peices so I have to figure out how to put it back together!!!

Your instructions are Clear as mud, but I\'m sure the mud will settle once I start taking things apart :)

Thanks!!!

Meghan

• 4 weeks later...

Maghan, Most likely you bobbin case did pop out, but I\'m glad it never happened to me. When you go to adjust you timing, make sure that you check your needle bar depth. The eye of the needle should be visible in the hook area when the needle bar is in it\'s lowest position. Only 90 percent of eye should be visible in the hook area and the other 10 percent should be up in the hook housing...........good luck zeke

Archived