Industrial Sewing Maching for Piecing

Good Day Everyone. Is there anyone out there who uses or has used an industrial/commercial sewing machine to do their piecing? I\'m interested in a Bernina 950. It can sew up to 2000 stitches per minute and can sew zig zag and is compatible with the Bernina walking foot. I would like to hear from those who have experience with these machines. I\'ve never used one before, but this one seems to have all of the features that a peicer with a long arm quilting machine would need. I was about to purchase a high-speed straight-stitch machine (most likely husquavarna) but I don\'t like the fact that I would need another sewing machine to do appliqué (once I learn how). I have a Janome QC 6019 right now. It\'s great for piecing but I sometimes find the slow speed annoying, especially during strip-piecing. Please share your opinions. Thank you.:)

Persephannie

Persephannie, the Berinia is a huge professional machine and if I\'m not mistaken you have to buy the motor seperate from the machine. Yes, it has 2000 SPM, and it has a few important professional aspects, but do you really want to have something that heavy in your studio. And the cost is way more than either of the two that I have.

I do know several who have them, but they always seem to go back to the DSM\'s and use them

I have two from the Janome Professional line: My straight stitcher is the 1600P-DBX and it runs 1600 SPM and is a marvelous piecing machine as well as a great quilting machine, I use this machine almost as much as I use the longarm. This machine uses industrial needles...the round topped ones, not the Schmetz that are used in regular domestic machine. This machine cost was about $1600 3 years ago, not sure what they run now.

And my other one is a 6500P...it only runs about 1000 SPM, but it has just about every quiting design that any applique person could possiblly want as well as both machine have a needle threader and a thread cutter. This machine was about $1300 5 years ago.

I do have several Berinia\'s in my stash of sewing machines and they are GREAT sewing machines, but I have to admit, when it comes to sewing for my quilts, I keep coming back to these two, they are for hobby and fine silky cloths making, and should I need to sell one, the Berinia\'s would be the first to go.

Thanks for the info Bonnie. It seems that everyone just loves thier Berninas, but I guess that Janome is just as good. Maybe I\'ll just stick to DSM if the high-speeds are as good as they sound. Also, if I don\'t switch brand names, I can take this one back to my LQS where I purchased it and receive a trade in. Thanks again :)

Persephannie

Persephannie,

I\'ve used many industrial machines. Speeds that fast aren\'t really helpful for piecing. The difference is like driving an 18-wheeler versus a Porsche. The truck has the power to move large loads, but what you want is finesse in handling. 2000 stitches/inch is no help if you\'re trying to match points.

Even with the proper needle and thread, my industrial will just chew up fine quilting cottons. It can\'t handle seam allowances that small. And most don\'t have 1/4" feet, either.

Just my opinion, of course!

Persephannie,

I have a Bernina 930 which I love and a few years ago I bought a Husqvarna Viking Rose which is okay. I don\'t like it as well as the Bernina because it has the drop in plastic bobbin. I like having the bobbin case in case I want to tweak the bobbin tension a little by turning the screw. You can\'t do that with a plastic bobbin. If I ever buy another DSM, it will be another Bernina.

Colleen

Archived