loading an hour glass quilt

Hi,

I partial float the quilt top. But my question is: how do you load a quilt that is longer on the top and bottom than the middle of the quilt.

Like say, the quilt measures 80" in the middle, but the top measures 81" and the bottom measures something else?

I use zippers to put the bottom of the top on and then baste the top to the batting/backing.

Thanks,

Charlene

Charlene,

Let's see if I can explian this right.

I use a "0" center tape measure to keep my quilt square. While pinning to your zippers measure 20" from the center out each side. "Ease in" the 1/2" excess between the center and edge on each half. Do this on the top and bottom edge of your quilt top.

I hope I am clear in my expaination!

Cheryl

Originally posted by CherylUribe

Charlene,

Let's see if I can expliane this right.

I use a "0" center tape measure to keep my quilt square. While pinning to your zippers measure 20" from the center out each side. "Ease in" the 1/2" excess between the center and edge on each half. Do this on the top and bottom edge of your quilt top.

I hope I am clear in my expaination!

Cheryl

Cheryl, I have a "0" center tape but I haven't figured how to put it on the zippers:o. Could you explain how and where you put yours? Is it sewn on? Any help/ideas would be helpful.

Hi Quilter Sue and Charlene!

I have not attached my "0" tape to my leaders yet, but I plan to soon. I'm going to sleep on how I want to do it. Think I will pin to leaders, start in the middle and sew out to both sides. Maybe sew top and bottom of tape across. I will for sure keep one tape free for measuring as I quilt and other uses. You will want to measure as you go (I do) to keep accurate. (center of quilting space between your leaders) This will really help you to keep your quilt square. Some may find this somewhat time consuming. I find it very helpful. I'm sure you could attach tape in a variety of ways. Bet there are a few ideas out there. Let's hear them! I'll search past posts to see what's been said.

Charlene, I didn't clarify in past post that I use the tape "free" - as in unattached to leaders. hope I did not confuse you. Either way sounds like you get it!

Cheryl

PS. - I wish we had spell check!

No confusion. I was thinking that maybe I would use double back sticky tape to secure the tapes. I wasn't sure if I could sew thru the tapes and was afraid that I might stretch them. Imagine the confusion and out of shape quilt I would have then if the tapes were stretched. Maybe I would start a new trend, let's see how far and how many ways can we make a quilt stand out from its peers.

Anyways, thanks for your help, Cheryl.

Charlene

I like the idea of using the "0" center tape measure but hesitated to attach it to the zipper/leader. So, I took a permanent marker and marked the "0" in the center and then every inch out on each side all the way to the ends of the zipper/leader. I did this on all three zipper/leaders. It took a little time but no more time than it would take to sew the "0" tape measure to the leaders. It works well for me but I'm sure I will have to check now and then to make sure the measurements aren't increasing ie: if the leaders start to stretch. Just my 2 cents worth.

Pam

• 2 months later...

I finally attached my "0" Centered Tape measure to my leaders! (actually 2) Attached one on my take up roller and one to my other quilt back roller. I just sewed them on with my Millie. Made sure they both lined up accuratly with eachother. You could get away with just the one, but as usual I over-do-it! Nice to have accurate measurments for making sure my quilt is square.

Cheryl

Well, Cheryl, you have inspired me. I bought the tape measures at the last 1/2 off sale at Joann's. Now I'll stitch them on, thinking that I'll put them on my roller for the quilt top. As I have been fully floating the top, I'll be able to see the tapes at all times.

Charlene

Archived