Birds nest on bottom figured out

I am new to this longarm machine. I had horrible loops on the back of my test sandwich.

I tried rethreading, adjusting bobbin tension, top thread tension, different threads. I just could not get it.

In the course of ramping up this used machine, I had to order several things (straps, bobbins, needles etc). Amy at APQS gave me some advice for some things that I would not normally order for my Bernina; so I ordered an extra bobbin case, screw for needle and tension spring.

After trying everything to get rid of the loops on the bottom, I changed the bobbin case with the new one I just got. I immediately noticed this little insert in the bobbin case that the bobbin in the machine did not have.

Ah HA. Sure enough, that is what I needed. Machine works fine and no loops on the bottom.

Linda:

This is a anti-backlash spring. It stops the bobbin from continuing spinning when the machine stops (sort of a brake). You can make one out of a piece of paper cut like a donut and placed in the back of the case. We only stock the case with the spring. Why possible cause a problem with a cheaper bobbin case?

Good Job,

John

Linda:

Oddly enough, I had someone come over and use my Milli -- they dropped the bobbin case and didn't want to say anything to me. Needless to say, when I came back into the room after they had been quilting for about 30 minutes and looked at the back of their quilt -- we were both horrified. And yes, it was that little black thingie that fitted inside the bobbin case that they didn't know about. I didn't know about the bobbin hitting the floor and they didn't know how important that piece was. Fortunately, after we unpicked her quilting (several hours later), I looked around (being at floor level at that point) and spotted it. yes.... what a relief. No one has used my machine since.

Glad to hear your back in business. Best of luck to you and enjoy the best machine on the market!

Donna

Costa Mesa, CA:;)

Archived