6 hours quilting, 8 hours unpicking

Well there\'s nothing like learning the hard way. I quilted a double irish chain with diagonal lines and a simple motif in the plain blocks. Upon checking the back for tension I found I had wrinkles and tucks all over the back, so I unpicked the whole lot (it was nearly finished).

I have read old posts and realise that I should have basted it down before rolling back and forwards so much. So how closely basted does it need to be? Every 10"SID on the outside of the blocks or in between as well. It is not going to be densely quilted. Does it need to be vertical as well as horizontal?

Will the needle holes go away after washing? I have steamed the top to try to get rid of the holes but they are still there and I\'m sure I won\'t be able to stitch on the exact same lines. At least this has given me lots of practise with ruler work.

Yvette,

I hate to baste...but that is just me. So when it is possible I will work the entire row meaning the motifs and all the other blocks as long as there is no thread changes. If I do baste I will use pins because it is faster. I will pin about 6 to 8 inches apart.

Cheryl

Yvette,

Like Cheryl I\'m not a huge fan of basting but there are times that it is necessary, as you found out. I usually try to sid all of my block and then I\'ll pin the unstitched areas about every 8" or so depending on the fabric. It really isn\'t too bad once you get going with it. Good luck. The quilt is going to be beautiful!

Archived