Ideas needed for old top

I need some input from the experts out there. I have a very old quilt top that was sent to my by my DH\'s cousin. It was hand stitched and they found it in her MIL stuff after she passed away. I\'m waiting to get more info on how she wants it done. The size is exact to the top of their queen size bed but no overhang. She wants to add a border to it big enough to tuck in as she wants to be able to have this on their bed. There has to be at least 100 different fabrics in it (all 9 patches, no sashing). I came up with doing a plain fabric for a 2 or 3 inch border and then a print of the era in a larger border of 8 to 10". But I would sure be open to other ideas that I can present to her. Do you have any ideas???

Sounds like one I did similiar for my MIL. I did the old traditional Baptist Fan with the Hartley fence, and WOW, did it turn out nice! It looked like it would of been quilted back then, in the traditional old style fan. That\'s why I\'m now in love w/the hartley fence!

If you have one, give-er a try patty! It sure keeps the traditional style to those old quilts.

I even used King Tut varigated thread, and wow, i loved how it turned out. You could do the same, finding a thread that most matches the colors thru out the quilt.

Hi Sheri - What do you think about the fabrics to add onto the length & width? I don\'t have a HF or a CL, I have 2 hands & and know how to pray!!! :P :cool: :D I do have the clamshell ruler and a bf panto that I haven\'t tried yet. But I think that she might want a simple meander? I may try the clamshell ruller on a practice piece to see if I can master that one. But I\'m stumped on the right way to add to the dimensions.

Yes, this quilt just covers the top of her qn size bed and she wants to add fabric all around so that she can tuck it in!!! I thought that I could put a narrow 2 or 3" border around it to give your eye a place to rest and then add a 10" or so border of a print of that era. That\'s what I\'m thinking, but I would love to have some other ideas or your thoughts about that one. thanks a bunch

Sheri - I\'m sorry - I think it\'s too late for me to try and figure that out. So - in other words, no - I don\'t get it!! :D:o;) However, the 9 patch blocks are 5" square. so does that mean I put on a 5" border and keep adding 5" borders until I get it big enough for her to tuck it in? I suppose that I could put on multipul borders each a different solid color found in the quilt fabrics?? We could call it her Fiesta Ware quilt!!

Patty,

No. Cut your material 5 1/2" x 10 1/4". They will finish at 5 x 10 (cuz 10 is the additional length you want it to be) When you sew them altogether in a row you will have the sashing that will look scrappy like the 9 patch blocks.

Does that make sense now? LOL. It was late for me too last nite!

OK, I think I get it. I still need to talk more to her. I know that she isn\'t really know alot about quilts, other than this is old and hand pieced. And I\'ll give her this idea as a suggestion and help to extend it. thanks Sheri. I think I should have gone to be about 4 hrs earlier then maybe I could have figured out what you were talking about. So maybe we need a smilie face that is yawning! Cause, I think I\'ll be doing that for awhile this morning. :) Thanks for all your help.

Pat - I checked out your ruler work last night and it looks great. I have that same ruler and I\'m thinking that I will give it a try on this one. I have the quilt here already, and will try and get a pic of it later today to post. I\'m in the middle of another one that is a rush job for a graduation. So I\'d better get cookin\' and get off of the computer.

OK I posted pics on a new topic "Old 1920\'s era quilt - need ideas" so please look and see if you have any ideas on how to add fabric and also how to quilt it. At this point I think I\'ll do clam shells, but maybe just a meander. Whatever my customer wants.

Archived