circle lord help!

I recently purchased the circle lord stylus and swirls template. I have raised the machine and bars. My question is this. When I check placement of the board it looks to me like I will not have enough room to finish the pattern as I get to the end of the quilt. As the quilt rolls up on the take up roller I'm going to loose that precious quilting space. I just don't see how this is going to work. I measured the width of the swirls and it is 12in. I am quilting on an apqs liberty. Help! The quilt is loaded and ready to go. Thanks for any help.

Carol:(

Do you mean that you expect to have a full pattern quilted just as you end the quilt? If so, I don't think it's easily done at all. I think that most people do as I do...just let the design end where it may....which will probably be in the middle of a row....but that's just fine!

Do you happen to have a Liberty? I do and was a little worried, too...but I have done a few quilts with it so far and have had no problem....I do make sure that the pattern is started fairly close to the back of the machine just in case that happens sometime.

Carol;

I have a Liberty and the CL Swirls Template.

What is the length of your quilt top?

Depending on the length will determine how you place your swirls template on the machine.

For instance I just took off a quilt that was a lap siz quilt length about 70" I had my CL Swirls template laying 3" from the edge of the table and plenty of clearance to make it through the whole quilt Due to the increase bulk of the take of roller as I quilted. However when I have done larger quilts such as queen size I have to place my template between 2 1/2-2" from the tables edge to allow for the extra bulk on the take up roller.

This is where trial an error comes into play when useing these templates for placements. The swirls template was originally designed for the larger machines like the millies and the freedoms bu the mid size owners also wanted it so Michael shrunk it down to the 12" pattern you and I have. In my honest opinon I wish it was 11 1/2" wide instead of the 12" it would have had some of the extra wiggle room already in it.

Good luck and keep practicing and you will soon find your comfort zone with the CL Templates, they are so much fun!!!

Hi Joann,

Yes I do have a Liberty. The quilt is 81 inches. I was so hesitant to start because it just looks like such a tight squeeze. In fact I'm thinking maybe I'll do the baptist fan on this one and save the swirls for something else. So, do you think I can squeeze out the room for swirls on an 81in. quilt? Thanks so much for your help. I also bought the zig zag pattern and it is 13 1/4 in. wide. Maybe that one was a mistake. Have you used the zig zag?

Carol

Darn it. I just did a trial run and realized I have to raise my front roller bar higher. I didn't account for the quilt being rolled up on it. With the thickness of the quilt top on it it's rubbing on the machine bed. Sigh. Maybe I should call it a night and start fresh tomorrow. Thanks everyone for your help.

Carol

I have done an 80" and even 96" using the swirls template without too much difficulty. It comes down to practice and where you place/line up the template on the machine. Also you will have an easier time using the thiner batts because as the roll up on the take up roller they won't create as much bulk.

I do not have the zig zag template so I can't comment on that.

I do have the Fan Clam template wich was also created for the mid size machines and haven't had any problems with that one at all. I also have the rope template which I love!

As well as the feathrz wreath and border, sprial, aztec, mini aztec, stella, Ginko, Stars (for the CL base unit) I also own the lg crosshatching, curved crosshatching and the concentric squares template.

Templates that I want that are currently on my wish list are...

1. Heartz

2. Diamondz

3. Sq. Spirals

4. sm. crosshatching

5. mini clam

6. Lines and waves

7. Cables

But since I am trying to pay off my new Bernina any new CL purchases are going to have to wait. But hopefully not too long, lol

I'm drooling over all those templates! Sounds like fun. I do love a Bernina also. Bought my 200 used and I love it! Bought my Liberty used too. It's a great way to save some cash so there is more for toys like circle lord etc! Thanks for all your help. I'm taking a break for the night. DH is taking me out to dinner. Kids are at grandma's. Yahoo!

Carol

Yes Michael and Kay are great with customer service!

You don't get that with too many companies/ businesses these days.

Thanks for the kudos on the website...my DH is a computer geek and did it for me. The nice thing is since we own our own servers which alows us to host it ourselves I can have as much content or pics as I want without it costing an arm and a leg...the only fee is just keeping the DH happy, lol :P

I recently bought a used (2005) Liberty and also bought the CL Swirls. I did a baby quilt first and then I did a twin bed quilt. I never thought about the potential problem you are talking about, so I just plunged in. Fortunately, it was OK. The twin quilt I put on the rollers by attaching the long edge of the quilt, so I didn't have as much quilt to roll to get to the end. I just never thought about the problem I might have if doing a much larger quilt where the quilt would build up on the rollers. Hummmm...food for thought!

Joann,

In reading your "want list" (I have one too :)) I see that you want the small cross hatch template. Just an idea....I have the King Zig Zag template, but have not been using it. Then I was looking at the different patterns listed in the instructions that came with it and I have been a dork!! There are so many patterns included in that template that will come in handy...one being the small crosshatch. I did it on a quilt and it measured 5/8" (that is from parallel lines) pluse it has one or two more variations of cross hatch. You might want to consider that one for your wish list...take a look at it and see what you think.

Archived