Hartley Fence?

Orla

Do people like the Hartley Fence? Are there some that find it easy to use and find it useful? Is there anyone who wouldn't want to be withought it? Does the base expander come with it? My dealer thought ti woull be useful because I was asking designs?

Orla

Hi Orla,

You are asking lots of questions about gadgets and tools and things that are "options" for various tools.

I strongly suggest that you continue to ask these questions, and to become informed on all the different tools availble to us.

But, before you go out and invest a lot of $$ in any tools, be it a Hartley Fence, Circle Lord or a whole slough of rulers and books, that you get to know your machine and learn to use it (basics). Get the basics down on how to operate your machine, get your confidence level up. Take a few classes at the quilt shows/events, and watch demos.

I suggest buying a few of the basic (beginners) DVDs - Myrna Ficken, Pajama Quilter, Nichole Webb, Pam Clark, Kimmy Brunner) and watch those DVDs. Oh, and Karen McTavish's DVDs are great, too. I have them all and they are terrific! Get a few basic tools, such as the extended base and a few rulers (straight ruler (4" and 8"), some circles, squares, ovals, maybe stars and hearts...you know), some easy pantographs, and do a lot of practice with these first before diving into the other things. Some really great beginners books out there too.

There are some great demos on YouTube, and Sharon Schamber has a web site with free demos.

I don't have the Circle Lord, but I do have the Hartley Fence and some of the cookie cutter designs. I use it sometimes, but I prefer to do ruler work and freehand. But I really enjoy it all, including my Hartley fence. I can make diagonal lines and circles really easy with it.

So, keep asking the questions, get to know your machine using the basic tools and less-expensive tools and have fun. Then you can consider which way to go with your quilting and if you want the more spendy items.

Archived